Shattered Pyrex

Decorating By SammieB Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm by Sweetestdreamcakes

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:44am
post #1 of 5

This story is from a couple of years ago, but I'm fairly new to this site and wanted to share. icon_smile.gif

A couple of years ago I was just dying for some of my grandmama's strawberry shortcake. I know the recipe by heart, and just decided on a whim to whip some up. I got the cake in the oven in a 13x9 pyrex glass dish, and my mouth was already watering. I went to the laundry room to get some stuff moved around and heard a crash in the kitchen. I came rushing back in, assuming my cat had knocked something over, but I couldn't find the evidence anywhere. Oh well!

Just a little bit later my oven timer went off, and I practically ran to the kitchen, so excited to cover my cake in strawberries! I opened the door and *GASP* my Pyrex had literally EXPLODED in my oven. There were shards of glass and baked cake everywhere. Oh the roof of the oven, dripping off the rails, and a big globby burnt cake mess on the floor. Thank goodness my oven has hidden heating elements, or we would've had a burnt mess!

It was late in the evening, and I sure didn't feel like waiting for my oven to cool down to clean it out and run the self clean, so I just traipsed off to bed, disappointed and not looking forward to the morning.

The next day I woke up and went in the kitchen, hearing my hubby snooping around for breakfast. And you guessed it, when I walked in, I found him with the oven open, and picking out pieces of cake to eat from amidst the disaster. Guess he just really loves my cake. icon_smile.gif Oh memories! I'd add an attachment of the mess, but for some reason that little button isn't cooperating with me today.

4 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 5

I had a Pyrex shatter in the oven once because it went from the fridge to a preheated oven. Never made that mistake again! I can't imagine one exploding, though! At least your husband made the best of it! Aren't men great!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 5

I also had a 9x13 Pyrex dish shatter. It was a dish from the cabinet (not cold). Of course, it was the night of my husband's work party and it was just before guests arrived... I was cooking one of my tri-tips... And when the thing blew apart, all of the meat juices dumped to the bottom of the oven. Imagine the sight of all of my windows open with smoke billowing out, fire alarms on all floors screaming and guests walking up the sidewalk. Ahhh... they still don't let me live that one down. icon_smile.gif
So, lesson learned, and I don't use Pyrex for big occasions any longer.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

Things that I follow regarding using Pyrex are:

Preheat oven and don't go above 350 degrees.
Avoid extreme temp changes.
Never allow ingredients to dry out during the baking process, so you are rolling the dice if using it for something like baking a cake.
When taking out of the hot oven, make sure no water in on the top of the stove where you place it, as it will create a crack.
Allow to cool before placing in water to clean.

Sweetestdreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetestdreamcakes Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

When I was younger (like 10-12) my Grandmother left to go to a Saturday morning church function, leaving me and my Granddaddy alone to fend for ourselves for lunch. Needless to say she was a little apprehensive but told Granddaddy on the way out that I could make my a frozen pizza in the over and he could heat up some leftovers for himself. She had left some remaining biscuits in a pyrex bowl on the back of the stove for him to eat later. I went in around lunch time and turned on the over to preheat for my pizza, like i had done hundreds of times (i love pizza) and walked into the garage to ask Grandaddy if he wanted me to heat up his food yet. All the sudden we heard waht sounded like the window shattering in the house.

Something i didn't know at the time: The ovens vent is under the back burner.... when I turned on the oven, the heat was coming out of the vent directly under that pyrex bowl. It got hot and shattered sending burnt biscuit and glass everywhere. At age 24 (last year) i bought Grandmother a new pyrex bowl for Christmas and told her it was for the one my and Granddaddy broke.... =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%