Buttercream Under Fondant

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm by jewordsoflife

jewordsoflife Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #1 of 4

ok, I made my first fondant cake (MM fondant to boot!) with great success but I have a question. I only did a thin crumb coat and the only complaint I got (which came from those who don't like fondant) was that they wanted more bc. So I've been looking for answers to this question... Can I successfully put another layer of bc under the fondant and still have the fondant stay in place and be smooth?
Thanks in advance for suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
yums Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 4

Did you torte and fill the cake layers? I have never had someone complain about the lack icing. You could put on slightly more than a crumb coat but not too much or it could squish around under the fondant.

debbief Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 4

You can use more than a crumb coat, just make sure the cake is well chilled before covering with fondant. It will keep the bc from squishing around. And yes, use a fair amount in the filling. Because if they peel the fondant off most of the bc goes along with it.

jewordsoflife Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

I did fill it liberally with the strawberry mousse with a piped edge of bc to hold the mousse in. When not using a filling, I normally use a generous amount of bc between layers. I appreciate your feed back and will use a bit more bc for the crumb coat next time, or should I do two layers of crumb coat allowing for each layer to crust? Which actually brings me to another question. It seems there are two schools of thought as to whether you should put fondant on a crusted crumb coat or a wet bc. Some say if the crumb coat has crusted they spray the cake with a light mist of water to moisten the bc so that the fondant has something to stick to. My cake was crusted and I didn't have any trouble with the fondant adhering to the cake. Thoughts?
Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%