leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:34am
post #1 of 19

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

18 replies
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:35am
post #2 of 19

Finishing up a five tier chocolate bc wedding cake. Will have white edible ribbons and a white package style bow on top.

It was ordered Tuesday for tomorrow. Yep, four days before the reception.

KJ62798 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 19

Wow, Leah. Unless the wedding is a last-minute thing & the groom is being marched down the aisle by a shotgun-wielding father, I can't think of a single good reason to wait that long to plan/order a cake. sheesh

I have a small topsy-turvy in the works for a baby shower on Sunday. Cakes are carved & frosted, waiting on fondant & decorations. It's my first TT so I'm a little nervous.

I can't decide if I should go ahead & get the fondant on tonight or wait for tomorrow. Tomorrow is looking to be a little nutty (we have our tax appt in the afternoon) I want to leave myself some "cushion" in case I blow something and need to re-bake.

I still need to bake the 2doz cupcakes that go with it but at least the fondant toppers for those are done.

BTW--anyone else having problems w/CC today? Super slow to load? I couldn't get it to load at all for most of the day & tonight it is sluggish.

Kristy

cheatize Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:53am
post #4 of 19

I couldn't get it to load at all this morning and it's slow for me tonight.

I'm watching videos on SCAL. The videos are very thorough; which means for someone who knows their way around a computer, you learn maybe 2 small things per video.

I'm also planning a 3 tier cake and wondering if I should do a topsy turvy or try a road of life cake. Earlier this week, my daughter and I made 173 cookies and a couple of hundred cake truffles. We're working ahead and getting as much done as possible. Her fraternity needs 800 servings of stuff for convention. I dunno how they're going to fit it all in a jeep with people and luggage in there, too; but my job is just to supply. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:03am
post #5 of 19

The brie and groom are already married. This is a reception for 250 friends here at home. I believe the story was that a "friend" was going to make the cake and decided at the last minute that he couldn't do it.

Amateurs.

hrnewbie Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:22am
post #6 of 19

I have my first cake show 2 weeks from tomorrow so I plan on using this weekend to start cranking out flowers. I'm spending tonight researching online.

That's how I'm trying to justify the hour I spent looking at flowers on petalsweet's blog. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:26am
post #7 of 19

hrnewbie,
Buy 'em. www.avalondeco.com

catlharper Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:41am
post #8 of 19

Hi everyone,

Yes I have noticed that the site is slow. For those of us in No. Cal it might just be all the traffic from those of us stuck inside due to all the rain!LOL!

Cupcakes for tomorrow and a birthday cake for Sunday. Other than that I'm working on detail work. In my albums you will see little converse and a little ballcap. Along with that I made 40 little sports balls to go around the tiers as well as letters for the words that will go on the cake and the board. Handpiping the teeny baseball stitches was not a picnic!LOL! I'm also starting figures for a Bridal Shower cake...following the tutorial here for giraffes! Too cute!

Something else I did thanx to here...the very popular "Rose Cake" that is going around on here, with the wonderful tutorial to help, led me to make the cupcakes "Rose cupcakes" for the Tea tomorrow and I'll be making a variation on the rose cake for the birthday cake...I had artistic license on both...was just told to make them feminine...so I'm going to practice this wonderful technique! The cupcakes turned out just wonderfully! I'll post photos next week when the site is back to running a bit more quickly of both the cupcakes and the cake!

Other than that, my youngest daughter is due in 3 weeks and I can NOT wait!

love,
Cat

KJ62798 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #9 of 19

Cat--Isn't that Rose Cake pretty? and SO simple. I did one last week for my DH to take to the guys at his office icon_rolleyes.gif

I suppose I should get something done tonight.
hmmmm....roll fondant or have a glass of wine?

Kristy

catlharper Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #10 of 19

Kristy,

I know! Love the cake, thought there had to be a catch to get the piping technique down but it's just as easy as pie<G>. Love it that I had not one but two projects I could use it on this weekend!

As for fondant OR wine...I vote for fondant THEN wine<G>

Cat

leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:58am
post #11 of 19

wine icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:59am
post #12 of 19

Evening.
The site has been super slow for me in Oregon.

I made cakes and a batch of fondant this afternoon. I'm freezing the cakes and starting to stockpile all necessary pieces for my son's 3rd birthday on April 16th.
I'm hoping to figure out teh exact sizing for the Sesame Street building and even do some of them this weekend. We'll see.
Can you attach wet fondant to dry? Royal icing?

leily Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:20am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

hrnewbie,
Buy 'em. www.avalondeco.com

Thank you sooo much for this link. I have a request for a wedding cake and the bottom is a 12"x12" 2" high cake that they want completely covered with fondant/gumpaste roses. But i am not making that many. Everywhere i was finding just didn't have what i was looking for.

As for tonight, no orders to work on for pick up this week. But have a couple of 1st birthday cake orders, and two wedding cakes that i'm working on contracts/sketches/ordering supplies etc... So nothing pressing, but it needs to be done.

KJ62798 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:00am
post #14 of 19

Fondant done. Pinot Grigio in the glass. Trashy novel at the ready.

Night ladies.

Safe deliveries & happy caking.

Kristy

kathie-d Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:15am
post #15 of 19

Mmmmm wine! It's been a long day, I could use some of that myself!Working on a diaper bag cake for a shower tomorrow as well as a 3 tier "birch" wedding cake. Still trying to decide if I am going to go with chocolate or fondant for the peeling birch.

kathie-d Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:18am
post #16 of 19

Ps. I had trouble loading the site all day today too! Barely made it through the day without losing my mind!!!!

sweetaudrey Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:21am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

Mmmmm wine! It's been a long day, I could use some of that myself!Working on a diaper bag cake for a shower tomorrow as well as a 3 tier "birch" wedding cake. Still trying to decide if I am going to go with chocolate or fondant for the peeling birch.

I vote chocolate =]

FromScratchSF Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:22am
post #18 of 19

I am exhausted - today I made 1x 6" carrot ginger, with fondant accents
24 mini and 12 regular carrot ginger cupcakes
12 vanilla cupcakes
8" vanilla bean w/ vanilla buttercream, fondant covered with black royal swags and black gumpaste flowers (shoulda took a pic but too busy)
Just finished baking, torting, icing and fondant covered a 6" and an 8" strawberry cake to be peged and tiered tomorrow for a b-day cake
Oh, 20 small gumpaste dafodills for said cake

Not to mention the 12 batches of SMBC I've made just to do all this stuff.

Tomorrow after I finish decorating the tiered b-day cake I have a small chocolate cake to bake, cover in ganache, and I still need to chocolate dip some strawberries for it, and I think I am going to attempt to finally use some of those chocolate transfer sheets I ordered a while back to put on the sides. Or I might just die before I get to it.

Sunday I have 5 dozen assorted cupcakes

I am freakin crazy to have accepted all this work... when I'm 8 months pregnant!

Jen

kathie-d Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:45am
post #19 of 19

Jen, I think you are just as crazy as I was when I was that pregnant! I guess I forgot to put my work-a-holic tendencies aside when I was pregnant!!! In a month you'll still be going at it one handed!!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%