New Shop: Silly Questions

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 1:45am by Pebbles1727

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:12am
post #1 of 10

Hi Everyone,
got some questions that may be silly but I could really use some help:
1. What kind of chair/stool do you use to sit on while decorating cakes?
2. What do you wear at your shop?
3. Do you have any kind of rubber matting or special shoes you wear to help with back pain?

Thanks a bunch, P

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 10

I have one of these stools. It's good because you can adjust the height, it's easy to move around, its comfortable:

I wear chefs jackets (all sorts on fun colours), black yoga/gym type trousers - non-shedding, important especially for fondant work!

I don't have any kind of matting - don't think I would be able to keep it clean very easily. And I wear just regular tennis shoes. Sometimes I wear the Reebok easytone ones just cos it feels like they might actually do something for my leg/bum muscle tone. But, I don't really have any back problems...

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

These are good questions. I'm interested to see what everyone replies with.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:11am
post #4 of 10

I have the Gelpro mat on the floor and prescription insoles in my shoes. I only wear Nike Shox or Merrill shoes. This is all for preventive maintenance. It makes a tremendous difference in level of fatigue and being achey.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 10

It's been a few years since I sold my shop, but:

1. Sit? Who sits?
2. I never liked whites or chef jackets. Just didn't feel comfortable. I always wore a clean, ironed apron over my clothes; and a strand of pearls. I always wore a short strand of pearls.
3. Sneakers/running shoes. And if I had it to do over, I would wear knee-hi support hose.

Congratulations on your new shop! Sit as much as you can and wear those knee-hi support hose.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #6 of 10

Mimifix - you're hilarious! icon_lol.gif

so, why the knee hi support hose??

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #7 of 10

I'm with Mimifix:

Sit? We're supposed to sit while decorating cakes?
But truly, I like blue jeans with a comfortable blouse and a clean white apron. Hair up in a banana clip, usually with to pairs of glasses on my head, a pair of sun glasses (helps keep hair out of eyes) and reading glasses. It helps find the detials on the cake as one apporaches 50 ish.
Tennis shoes for the feet but I have found commercial restuaraunt rubber mats. They kind of look like honey comb, with holes. Good on the feet, terrible to clean up!

If I sit while working on a cake, It's just for a moment to get down to eye level with the cake for some finer detail, I just grab a bar stool.

Oh yes, my most important tool : MY IPOD!
I insert my ear buds, decorate cake and go to my happy place!
Happy Caking!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:57am
post #8 of 10

I wear an apron over my clothes and sneakers. I got an adjustable chair with back from biz chair fairly inexpensive, very comfortable for when I am making flowers

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:01am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

Mimifix - you're hilarious! icon_lol.gif

so, why the knee hi support hose??

Hi Motta, varicose veins are an occupational hazard. Standing too long in one place puts a strain on the valves and allows blood to flow backward and pool in the legs. Support hose, also called compression stockings, help to keep the blood from pooling.

I sure wish I'd paid attention to that advice when I opened my shop. But I was young and full of energy. Now I'm not so young, sometimes cranky, and my legs ache. (But I'm still full of energy.)

Sit!

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 1:45am
post #10 of 10

You are all too funny. Thank you so much. I feel kinda bad now but I do sit while working on the cakes, usually when doing fondant decos and icing the cakes, so I do sit just as much as I stand icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%