lesgateaux Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:51pm
post #1 of

My client wants me to have her child's [sterilized] toys as the topper for her cake. I told her this wouldn't be a problem (especially since it will save me hours hand-making the characters!) However, when I received them today I began to panic as they don't have any holes in the bottoms of the feet where I assumed I could put skewers to attach, nor is there a little base as is the case with most figurines. Just flat feet-- enough that they can balance on the cake but not with any peace of mind! A small bump of the table and they'd be gone.

Is it unreasonable of me to call the client and ask if I can put a dab of hot glue on the toys' feet and attach them to a piece of cardboard to make a makeshift topper? Or does anyone have a better idea of how to give them some stability? I don't want to just push them into the cake I worked so hard on!

thanks in advance icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
leily Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:30am
post #2 of

if you want to put skewers in then use royal icing to attach them. It will dry hard but easily wash off the toys.

Typically i just place them on the cake and push in a little bit to make an imprint of where they go. Then when they get to the location of the party they just put them back. Then i don't ahve to worry about them moving in transport.

Cupcations Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:46am
post #3 of

Maybe add a drop of melted chocolate to their feet & let it cool down in place, although I think as Leily said RI is more stable
Good Luck

DianeLM Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:48pm
post #4 of

How about a combination of all the above advice?

Place the toy in a shallow 'puddle' of melted chocolate and let it set up. Instant edible base!

poohsmomma Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #5 of

I once took some clear plastic, about 1 x 2 inches, stuck it to the bottom of the character's feet with glue dots, and set it on the cake with some of the same buttercream as I used to ice the cake. This was for my grandson, and I didn't actually set them on until I got the cake to the house, but maybe the parent could set them on when she got the cake home.

sugardugar Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #6 of

i always use a tiny amount of melted chocolate/candy melts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%