Achieving This Look

Decorating By sugardugar Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 10:01pm by Elcee

sugardugar Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make this cake (no clue who made this, was sent by a cust):

How would you achieve that shading if you were me? Keep in mind I cannot get matte dust locally and have no time to order. Shade with cocoa powder? Would you place panels or do rectangle-typed quilting?

TIA!

13 replies
CWR41 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:42am
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Shade with cocoa powder? Would you place panels or do rectangle-typed quilting?

That's a great idea, but cocoa powder isn't that dark... it will only tone down the fondant to a more matte finish. I wouldn't know what to suggest other than an airbrush with brown coloring.

Placing panels would be more difficult to cut and fit as well as more time consuming... I'd go with scoring like you mentioned.

platinumlady Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 4:51am
post #3 of 14

I agree with CWR41 airbrushing will be the best & easiest way to achieve this look. If you don't have an airbrush machine...do you have a store close to you that sells the spray mist ... any brand? You can get the same effect as airbrushing with the spray mist.

sugardugar Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 7:33am
post #4 of 14

Oh no! I'd have never agreed to it if I'd realized this was airbrushed. I don't have one and locally I can't get brown spray...just the pink/blue/green mist.

icon_sad.gif

Skirt Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 8:09am
post #5 of 14

Could you maybe use brown food coloring and paint? Or dab? Or sponge?

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:53am
post #6 of 14

you could try by using some yellow and brown food gel colours and blending with either paintbrush or sponge

Crazboutcakes Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 11:32am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

Could you maybe use brown food coloring and paint? Or dab? Or sponge?

I would say yes you could. would deffinatly go with one full sheet of scored fondant (like the others said) tinted with the tan and than use a few shading colors in the creases. I paint colors on all the time for effects I love the way it looks, I don't have a spray gun either but love the way it looks. HTH

pbhobby Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 11:46am
post #8 of 14

I've always used the CK or Crystal Colors dust but I've seen a number of people talk about using a non-toxic chulk. That might work for you in a pinch. Not sure?????

sugardugar Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks guys!

Yeah I wish I had the CK Colours. I ordered a buncg of different colours last night but they won't be in on top and I can't get them locally.

Do you think, if I mix brown colour and extract, I could just sponge to achieve this look then? Interesting! Today is my busy day but Sunday I will try this with some fondant scraps.

Thanks a ton guys!!!!!

Cakeonista Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 14

What a cute cake! Yes I think painting a little food coloring will work out perfect and just scoring the fondant. Have fun this is one of the cutest I've seen in a long time.

Elcee Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugardugar

Shade with cocoa powder? Would you place panels or do rectangle-typed quilting?

That's a great idea, but cocoa powder isn't that dark... it will only tone down the fondant to a more matte finish.

I actually think you can use cocoa. I used it on the glove on my baseball cake. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1749780 I started with a dark tan fondant and used cocoa in between the fingers, around where the ball sits, and in the spaces where the stitching is. I think if you use a lighter colored fondant you can get the contrast you're looking for.

That's an adorable cake, I look forward to seeing yours!

Niki11784 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:39pm
post #12 of 14

how do you use cocoa for shading? Do you mix it with anything?

cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 14

Definitely score it, otherwise you'll have bc seeping out the seems. This after you already drove yourself crazy trying to piece it together the way you want it.
You can easily handpaint and/or sponge your color onto it. Practice on a small piece of extra fondant if you feel the need and you'll get the hang of it very quickly.

Elcee Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:01pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

how do you use cocoa for shading? Do you mix it with anything?

Niki, I used it just like a luster dust and applied it dry with a brush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%