How Do I Secure A Building?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 3:47am by KarenOR

KarenOR Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 6

I'm figuring that in order to make the building at 123 Sesame Street, I will make 12 x 12 squares and probably cut them in half. Or, I guess I can make more of them and make them wider than 6" if necessary.
Anyway, I assume I want a really dense cake? Any great ideas for a chocolate pound cake? I used the one for 3D sculptures in the recipe section and made vanilla first. I didn't find it particularly dense. I don't think I did anything wrong. What do you add to make a cake more dense?
Ganache would probably be the best filling so it doesn't slide, would you say?

So, then I suspect putting cardboard between every two layers? or three? I think it will need to be 6 layers to get the right height. So much math! icon_cool.gif

Thanks for any help!

5 replies
KarenOR Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone have any ideas?

Harmonycakes Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 6

i would put a board every 2 layers for support. If you wante even more support you can even do a cereal treat surround for the building maybe 1/2 inch thick to hold the cake in and together. Pound cake is definitely nice and dense but if you use boards and dowels, you shouldnt even need a special cake mix, just use whatever you normally use. Hope this helps!

KarenOR Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 6

It's not going anywhere except my dining room, so it's not THAT big of a deal. However, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this kind of thing and I don't want a Leaning Tower of Sesame icon_smile.gif

nursingnellie Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:03am
post #5 of 6

I just did a similar cake - I did a skyscraper with superheroes for my son's 4th birthday this past weekend. I was in a similar situation in that it wasn't going far, but even the trip from the kitchen into the dining room was too much and it did start leaning. Fortunately, the party was comic book themed, so the leaning cake actually looked really cool, like it came right out of a comic book!

What I did was:
baked two 12x18 sheets and cut them into quarters, so that the cake ended up being about 6x9. I just used two WASC recipes - it was plenty dense enough to hold up to stacking, but I also used...

bubble tea straws! actually, *milkshake* straws from Bed Bath & Beyond. They were super easy to work with, and if I hadn't been in such a rush I would have cut each support for each "tier" to exactly the same length so that the cake wouldn't have ended up leaning. I used four in each tier.

cardboard between each "tier" - the cake ended up being four tiers, two layers each, so it was almost 16 inches tall when assembled. It didn't sink AT ALL - and I know the sliding was only from my straw supports being cut unevenly. My own fault.

If I had been moving the cake any farther (or even if I'd just wanted to be 110% sure it wouldn't tilt, but I was in too much of a rush to be that careful icon_smile.gif) I would have cut holes in the cake boards between tiers and stuck whole straws through multiple layers. I know most people use dowels, which would be long enough to go the entire height of the cake, but the straws are so easy to use, and weigh nothing - the cake was SO heavy, any added weight would have been too much!

If you want to see the finished (almost) cake, I'll be posting my pics as soon as I have the rest of them - I didn't get to take my own pictures of it, so I'm waiting for my dad to send his. I have one shot of it, which I could show you if you want, but I want to see if there are better pics before I add them to my photos.

Good luck on your building! Mine was so much fun to make, and it ends up being really impressive-looking!

KarenOR Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:47am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It sounds very similar to what I'll be doing, but thankfully not as high! Yours sounds awesome. Can't wait to see pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%