Adding Food Color To Chocolate Melts?

Baking By gregus28 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 12:46am by PJ37

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 7

can you add regular food coloring drops to merkens or wilton chocolate discs?

6 replies
SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

No you can't. It will cause the chocolate to sieze. You have to use the food colouring made specifically for chocolate.

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwtCanuck

No you can't. It will cause the chocolate to sieze. You have to use the food colouring made specifically for chocolate.

Do you know where you can buy it? candy supply store?

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 7

AS long as you use oil based coloring you'll be fine.

http://www.anoccasionalchocolate.com/chocolate-food-coloring.html

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #5 of 7

You should be able to find basic colors most places that carry candy melts. They are usually right near the melts. My grocery store even carries it in the bulk department. They have the Make 'nMold brand.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

All of the craft supply stores that sell Wilton products sell the Wilton brand oil-based colorings that can be added to candy melts (as do cake supply stores, of course.)

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:46am
post #7 of 7

I have added the "regular" Wilton Food coloring to vanilla melts, and if it thickens just add a little Crisco. It works! I just use it for small amounts. (A couple Tablespoonsful of Chocolate, just a dab of Crisco). It has worked well for Chocolate transfers.

What I have found best is to buy primary colors of candy melts and mix your own colors. Also, put left over colors like blue, red, and green all together for a dark color and add black to it for outlining. I am just a hobbyist and don't want to put a lot of money in supplies. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%