Fondant Loop Bow Question

Decorating By StephanieLynn Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm by TexasSugar

StephanieLynn Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 16

I have made several of the fondant loop bows,I assemble the bow with royal icing and let it dry for several days but always seem to have a slight problem getting the second and 3 layers of the bow to stay in place, I have to constanly keep pressing it inwards to stay in place.

My Question is: Does anyone attach wire to thier loops before they assemble it to be able to assemble the bow directly on the cake? I would love to know !!! Any advice, please share.....Thanks icon_smile.gif

15 replies
SSGirly Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 16

I've never done it myself, but I've seen it done. You could also try using some bunched up saran wrap to keep everything in place.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 16

Candy melts work great to glue the bow loops together. They harden fast so you don't have to worry about the pieces moving around on you as much.

Price Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:01am
post #4 of 16

I agree with the candy melts. They are the best thing I have found to hold the loops in place. I cut a circle of parchment or waxed paper the size I want my finished bow to be. Place a dab of the melted candy melts in the center of the paper and place my first row of loops. I then build my 2nd row. Once I'm satisfied with the position of those loops I carefully spoon more of the candy melt over the center of those loops and repeat until my bow is complete.

ycknits Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #5 of 16

Candy melts and sometimes propping the top tiers with plastic wrap solved my bow shaping problems icon_smile.gif I start by positioning the bottom tier in a small blob of melted candy melts and then adding a little more candy melt to the center, positioning the next tier, and so on. If it's not too hot, you can usually hold the bow loop in place long enough for the candy melts to solidify without the plastic wrap.

StephanieLynn Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 16

Does the heat from the candy melts have an effect on the fondant (making it softer)?

ycknits Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 16

No - there really isn't much thermal energy stored in the candy melts at their melting temperature. The melt sets up very quickly and doesn't change the fondant at all. You almost have to see it to believe it.

I keep a small glass dish of melted candy melts on hand all the time. I microwave it just enough to melt the mixture, do whatever job I have at hand, let it solidify again, cover it and store it until I need it again.

Jamielc Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 16

I use candy melts as well when I make my loopy bows. Works like a charm. icon_smile.gif

StephanieLynn Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks to all of you on the advice!!!! I will definatley be trying the candy melts with my next bow!

Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 16

SL - have you seen this - if not- -thought it might be of help to you.
http://www.cakeboss.com/FondantBowTutorial.aspx

Bluehue

StephanieLynn Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, that is how I learned to make bows!! Thanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

SL - have you seen this - if not- -thought it might be of help to you.
http://www..com/FondantBowTutorial.aspx

Bluehue

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 16

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629785-loop.html+bow

This is another great bow how to, that uses the candy melts.

StephanieLynn Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 16

What does she mean by using tylose to make sure the colors match?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629785-loop.html+bow

This is another great bow how to, that uses the candy melts.

TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 16

Tylose when added to fondant will make the fondant dry harder/faster like gumpaste.

If you want to have the bow match the fondant on the cake, then you can take some of the colored fondant and add tylose, cmc, or gumtex to it, and it will help it harder better than straight fondant. If you used straight gum paste you would have to color it to try to match the colors.

StephanieLynn Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 12:33pm
post #15 of 16

Where I live, mostly all I can find is gumtex from wilton. Is it the same thing as tylose? I use satin ice gumpaste and fondant but have never used tylose. I am sure its cheaper than gumpaste?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Tylose when added to fondant will make the fondant dry harder/faster like gumpaste.

If you want to have the bow match the fondant on the cake, then you can take some of the colored fondant and add tylose, cmc, or gumtex to it, and it will help it harder better than straight fondant. If you used straight gum paste you would have to color it to try to match the colors.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 16

I've used gum-tex many of times. I won't say it is the exact same thing as tylose because someoen will come along and tell me it isn't, but it does the same thing. It willl make your fondant more like gumpaste. Now of you are already mixing fondant and gumpaste together, then you are doing the same thing. I haven't factored in the costs between the two. I usually just use what ever I have more on hand of. If I'm not worried about color matching then I'll use fondant with gumpaste or even just straight gumpaste. When you want to match colors then it is nice to have the powders to add in.

I believe CMC is cheaper than tylose and again does the same thing, both can be bought through cake supply stores online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%