Royal Icing Questions

Decorating By jewels710 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 4:11pm by TexasSugar

jewels710 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I am wanting to do an delicate design on the side of a cake this evening.
Its for my mom, so I get to practice on her. icon_surprised.gif)
The cake will be iced in buttercream.
I would like to do the design in Royal Icing but have no idea where to start with the stuff. The only time I have ever made RI was for gingerbread houses and it was pretty thick & dried rock hard.

Not sure what recipe to use?
Not sure what consistency it needs to be, thin enough to pipe with a tiny tip but I cant have it drooling down the side of the cake either.
Then, is it going to dry break your teeth rock hard on her cake too?

Oh, I'm so confused.
Please Help!

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 6

I've always used the Wilton recipe. It should be thick enough to hold shape, but should not kill your hand when piping. If your icing is running down the side of the cake it either has too much water or wasn't mixed long enough.

Royal icing does dry hard. I won't say break your teeth hard in every situation. I mean if it is a big rock hard flower that is one thing. If it is small piped lines on the cake, there will be some crunch.

jewels710 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks But how do I know how long I should mix it?

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 6

I've found you can usually get away with 7 mins when using a stand mixer, but need to go a full 10 for hand mixers. Usually I do 10 anyway with the stand mixer. I just set the timer and let it do it's thing. It starts off shiny and will be more matt when done.

If it hasn't been mixed long enough it feels very thick but does not hold it's shape.

jewels710 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:00am
post #5 of 6

ok, I will give it a go, thanks a bunch!

TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 6

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%