Practice Cakes

Decorating By JESSICAVASQUEZ1989 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm by Elcee

JESSICAVASQUEZ1989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JESSICAVASQUEZ1989 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 5

how can i make a cake that i can use to practice with it nees no sugar or anything like just basic fluffy bread i want to practice a topsy turvy but dont want to use my cocoa or sugar and milk is there a way to make a bread like this thanks

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 5

I can understand now wanting to waste ingredients on a practice cake, but at the same time, to me a practice cake is only really practice if you are working with the same stuff.

Sure I could carve rice crispy treats in any 'cake' shape I wanted, but it wouldn't be the same as carving a cake, which could be more delicate and have a whole other set of issues to deal with.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 5

Maybe used a boxed cake mix instead of making the cake from scratch? That may save you some money, especially if you can get the cake mixes when they are one sale, like buy one get one free. The cake would really need to have the same texture as your regular cakes for the practice to be really helpful so it kind of depends on how similar your usual recipe would be to the boxed one.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 5

Here's a recipe I use for practice.

I box cake mix. (inexpensive brand)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups water

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes then lower the heat to 350 till done. (prevents it from sinking)

Makes 1 8 inch round 3" deep.
Be sure and grease your pan thoroughly.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with TexasSugar, you should practice on cake. I've used a basic pound cake recipe and just left out the flavoring (why waste perfectly good vanilla, right?) It's great for carving and will give you the proper texture. It's what I used to carve the baseball glove in my pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%