Storing Buttercream Icing

Lounge By hopeysanders Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm by anxietyattack

hopeysanders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopeysanders Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 7

i made icing last night...... i was thinking i needed it this weekend, and its not until last weekend. will it last a week. ???????

6 replies
Harmonycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harmonycakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 7

yes it will last, just cover it with plastic wrap and push it down to cover the whole thing so it doesnt form a skin, and then put the lid on it. keep it refridgerated, and make sure you dont have anything like garlic or anything else stinky in the fridge or it will taste like it.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 7

I'd freeze it. Buttercream freezes beautifully in an airtight container.

MissKendra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissKendra Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 7

I freeze mine as well. I put it in a ziplock freezer back, squeeze out all of the air and seal it. I usually that in foil just to be safe. It does freeze beautifully!

hopeysanders Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopeysanders Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 7

thanks

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 7

It does freeze great! And it doesn't take that long to thaw either. Make sure you stir it after it thaws and before using. I have also left mine on the counter for a few weeks, covered and it's fine. It will separate a little, again just stir it before using.

No matter which method you use, place plastic over it and push the plastic directly on top of the buttercream (where it touches it). This does help to keep it a little fresher because it keeps the air from being on it. (I just noticed that Harmonycakes said the same thing! lol)

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 7

What recipe did you make?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%