How Far In Advance Can You Make A Fondant Accent?

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 11:19pm by Price

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 6

I have never worked w/ fondant at all and I am thinking about getting w/ a friend who does work w/ fondant and have her help show me some basics about fondant. The thing is I am super busy w/ my kids party, family coming into town and then a baby shower cake at work. so the best day for me to geth w/ her (if she can) would be 8 days before I decorate the cake and 9 days until the baby shower.

I am thinking that this would be ok, but I am not sure, If I make the accents and put them in a zip lock baggie?

5 replies
Mb20fan Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 6

I work full time and start working on the fondant accents 2 weeks long as they are stored in an airtight container and kept out of sun or direct light (may alter the color), it's been fine.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 6

very cool, I have yet to be able to talk to her about this, so I am not sure if she will have time to help me (we have been trying together together for a "cake party" for a lil while now) on the day I can/need to do it..I really hope she can!

I have been scared of fondant (I dont know why)

KarenOR Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 6

I've done them 2 months in advance! I have a job and kids and can only make cakes on weekends, (well, two cakes per year, one for each of them) and always start a month to 6 weeks ahead of time.

KarenOR Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 6

Oh and I've had the dogs from my daughters 7th birthday cake (she's about to turn 9) on the kitchen window sill for TWO years.> The colors have faded but otherwise they look the same!

Price Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 6

What type of "accents" are you planning to make? Do you mean figures to decorate the top of your cakes or cutouts for the sides, etc? If you're planning to model figures you can do them way ahead of time.

When I'm doing cutouts for the sides of my cakes, I like to do them as I'm decorating the cake. I think they stick better. Flowers I find are best ahead of time and can be done well in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%