I Think I Added To Much Salt???? Need Help Asap........!!!!!

Decorating By cakegirl31 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm by cakegirl31

cakegirl31 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 13

I always use the same butter cream icing, but this time i was opening the meringue powder from Wilton's and saw the paper and seen there was one called Snow-white icing. It called for 3/4 tsp of salt, I thought that was a lot of salt, do u think it is?? Anyways it just seems to taste a lot different then the one I usually make. Has any one else tried this recipe from the Wilton's can? I used popcorn salt also??? I have a cake testing in 2 days so I need to know ASAP!!!! For your thoughts and opinions.....so I can run to the stor and buy more stuff. Thanks so much

12 replies
dchockeyguy Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 13

You used popcorn salt? That's going to have a VERY different taste from regular salt. It's not the same. I would remake it with regular salt.

cakegirl31 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 13

ok I kind of figured that it was the popcorn salt icon_redface.gif oh live and learn. icon_redface.gif Thank u so much

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 13

I did not know it tasted different, I thought it just a finer grain? umm

chefjess819 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 13

yeah...popcorn salt is a much finer grain than table salt, therefore there is more salt in the 3/4 teaspoon than usual.

crisseyann Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 13

One recipe I use for a Sweetex buttercream specifically calls for popcorn salt. I have used it MANY times with no "salty" flavor. It basically cuts the sweetness, I believe. I thought popcorn salt was just a finer grain, no difference in flavor. My recipe uses 1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt to 2 lbs powdered sugar ratio.

infinitsky Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 13

I don't think the popcorn salt tastes different. Popcorn salt is table salt just much finer grains which makes it stick better to popcorn, corn, french fries and etc. It also dissolves faster (pickling salt is another name).
Maybe you have to use a little less as chefjess819 said.

cakegirl31 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 13

OK, well my husband thinks it taste fine??? So maybe I should try adding more Powdered sugar?? What do you think...Thanks so much.

dchockeyguy Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 13

Actually, yes, the popcorn salt does have a finer grain. But I have some that's flavored (butter flavor). So if you happen to use that (which I don't), you'll get that flavor. (yes, I'm strange, I don't actually put butter on my popcorn!)

cakegirl31 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 13

nope mine is not butter flavor it says this on the container: Morton Popcorn Salt ( Super fine salt), and on the back it list other stuff you can use it on, so maybe it is just me? My husband told me if it ain't broke don't fix it. This Wilton's recipe made alot more then mine does so thats why I tried it icon_rolleyes.gif OK so does anybody think if I add more PS it will be fine? Thanks

infinitsky Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 13

How about seperating about a cup of the icing and try adding PS to that cup and tasting as you go. If you like how it tastes after fixing it do the same thing for the whole batch.
Another suggestion, what about fixing it by adding melted cooled white chocolate? Or even chocolate, if you do not necessarily want white icing?!

KASCARLETT Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #12 of 13

If you add more ps, you will have to adjust it with more liquid too or it will come out too stiff. How much depends on how much more you want to make. Maybe just add a little at a time, alternating with the liquid, until it is the way you like it.

If it makes a lot more, you can always freeze it. Buttercream freezes well.

cakegirl31 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 13

Great ideas thanks so much I appreciate it greatly icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%