Just Let Me Do My Thing, Please!!

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 11:58pm by AmysCakesNCandies

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 12

How do I convince customers that I am capable of unique cake design for their event? This is mostly aimed at birthday and shower cakes.

I get a lot of micro managers who eat up my life with emails with pictures and calls about the pictures they emailed. Everyday I have emails with several attachments from customers with this....I want the bottom tier to have design from cake picture 1 but not as much, and I want the color on the top tier to be like cake picture 2 but not as deep and more shiny. And on and on.....No lie I'll have 10 pictures they want put together.

I would love to just get the invite or plate and come up with a unique design. You know put my own spin on the latest owl craze or princess theme. Am I asking too much?

11 replies
Tacy09 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 12

I get the same thing and it is sooooo frusterating! And becuase they are constantly micromanaging me I barley have time to actully make the cake...I need a full time secretary just so I can actully work. I think once I had a lady say I want these three colors and some flowers but other than that it was up to me....I think I went into a panic because there was soo much I wantedt to do!

online_annie Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 12

I completely understand as this happens a lot. I think it happens mostly because, they themselves can't think outside of the box. After getting frustrated, I have come up with a new way of handling orders that come in. Most that have ordered from me before just give me a theme or an idea and run with it. New customers are told that they may provide an inspirational photo the showcases their overall style or theme. Napkins are welcome for color preferences. They tell me the number of people they are serving and the flavors they wish to have...but everything else up to me completely. I no longer have as much stress when creating a cake. My imagination can run wild and I don't have to run to the buyer everytime I think of something new and try to convince them to try it. It works wonderfully. I hear a lot of "omg...that's so awesome...I never would have thought of that..." Very rarely do I have someone that comes to me with an original unique idea. They see something they like, they want it. They don't often know what they want until they see it. I would suggest creating a new rule such as that. It allows you to have freedom of creation and they get something that no one else has. win-win.

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 12

Customers are constantly sending me pictures from CC, honestly they are on here more than me. They want these cakes replicated and it constantly looks like I'm copying everybody else on here's work. And the pressure to get each detail just so is stressful. I don't want to just slap something together either but if they would trust me to just go with the theme I would enjoy my job a little more. A little creative license would be such a nice change of pace.

malene541 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 12

Oh my! I have never had one of these yet. I've had seriously three brides say "do what ever you think would look good, I trust you" and I had never met these girls before! It takes me a while to convince them to help me pick something THEY want.
I've been waiting for someone that knew exactly what they wanted but now after reading these posts maybe I won't wish so much icon_smile.gif
I must live in a much more laid back area??

Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #6 of 12

I know its annoying! On the other hand, I guess I can see how the customers think its awesome to be able to actually design their own cake, or have complete control over how it is done. I mean, to them....if they go pick a cake up at a bakery, they just have to choose from what's already been done. But if they see something online they want, then they will ask a custom baker to make it for them, and they want their "dream cake" to come true!

I think its difficult for some people to relinquish control to a baker if they cannot picture what the cake will look like in the end. I get a few customers who say "I trust you" but more often than not, I get customers who want complete control. They may ask me for suggestions, but when it comes down to it, they want to have a complete picture in their mind as to what the cake will look like before they pay for it.

Oh well!

tripleD Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 12

I understand. I get these people all the time. It drives me nuts. My favorite is the lady that told me to use a box cake mix and add pudding to make it more moist icon_confused.gif .I have been baking cakes from box and scratch for years.I think she thought she was telling me something new.

Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

I understand. I get these people all the time. It drives me nuts. My favorite is the lady that told me to use a box cake mix and add pudding to make it more moist icon_confused.gif .I have been baking cakes from box and scratch for years.I think she thought she was telling me something new.

I was just complaining about this the other day...I end up getting people who seem like they cannot trust my skills...they either demand to taste my cake before they buy, or they ask me if their cake will look as good as the ones on my website, or various and assorted other doubtful questions even though a simple internet search on my business should tell them everything they want to know.

Oh well!

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 12

I have had brides turn me loose to do what I want but these momzilla's and shower givers are killing me with their creativity.

bakingkat Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 12

It can be frustrating when people nit pick every last detail but I find it easier to know exactly what they want then to just hope that they like it. I had to make a 2 tier cake as a job audition. And that's all they told me, make a sample 2 tier wedding cake to bring in, no colors, or sizes, nothing! It was probably one of the most stressful cakes I've made. Having no idea what kind of people I was meeting with, young old, classic, spunky made it really difficult to design a cake. I must've done alright though because I landed the job icon_smile.gif Anyways, short story long, I like having pictures for reference.

LisaR64 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 12

Whenever a customer sends me a cake picture & asks for a price, I quote the price, but also include some "other ideas" they might be interested in. I'm surprised how often they end up going with one of my design ideas.

AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 12

I get a lot of "can you make this cake" requests. I don't mind them, although I prefer to have more freedom to design. I always tell them that I will use thier photo(s) for reference and inspiration but the final product might not look exactly like the pictures they have provided. In all the years I've been decorating I have only had a small handful of people question that statement - and to them I say that cake is an art form and not every artists works in the same exact way.

I think people just have a really hard time picturing something without an actual picture so they are more comfortable to say "make this one"

My favorite customers are the ones that give me inspiration pieces (pictures, invites, dress, flowers etc) and then just let me do my thing... inevitable theese people are happier with the emd product too. Its my personal hilosophy that you find good professionals and you let them do thier thing... when I go to the hair dresser and want a change in cut or color I defer to thier professional opinion. And I don't tell the chef how tp prepare my meal or mechanic how to fix my car. Thats what a pro is there for, I just wish more people felt that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%