Bride Doesnt Care What Her Cake Looks Like???

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm by StacyN

jessi01 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 13

I have a bride who has asked me to make her wedding cake.. she doesnt want a tasting seeing as I have made her step dads wedding cake and graduation and birthday cakes for the family in the past.. that is fine.. but she tells me her colors are purple, black and white.. and to do what ever I want. icon_confused.gif SO this could be good and bad. do I just do something I would like or do I send her ideas to get her to at least give me some idea of her personal tastes or how the wedding will be..?? I want the cake to at least look like it belongs there!

12 replies
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 13

she basically gave you the go ahead to get as creative as possible, which i think is great!! shows that she's not too picky and those are the best customers!!

since you want the cake to look like it belongs there (lol) i think you should call her up and ask her if she has an extra invitation, and then use that to develop your ideas.

whatever you choose to do i'm sure it'll be good luck and let us know how it goes

foxymomma521 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 13

I didn't know what my cake would look like until I showed up at my reception. I asked for red and champagne colors, and I wanted roses. I trusted her, and my cake was absolutely gorgeous. I didn't even pick the flavors! HAve fun with it! Your work is beautiful, and I'm sure she will be happy with anything you make!

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 13

Could you work up a sketch of what your ideas are and have her say yay or nay to it? leave it kinda vague, so it's not super detailed so you are not locked down. Mayeb just the shape (round, square, combo, topsy turvy, ect) and then where some of the colors would be, if your thing modern (dots or shapes) or tradiation (flowers) ect.

sweetaudrey Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 13

I agree with the invitation idea. Then just get creative! =]

jones5cm Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 13

OH, what I wouldn't give for a chance like that...creative licsensing; IMHO...a cake decorators dream customericon_smile.gif I say just go with it and have fun!!

jessi01 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks, I think I will ask her for an extra invite.. That's a great idea. I know I was excited at first to have the go ahead to just do my thing.. Then the nerves took over. Lol thanks for the input and vote of confidence everyone icon_biggrin.gif

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 13

glad we helped !

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 13

I've run into a couple of "indecisive" brides and I've told them "Oh good! that's means I get to do whatever I want and you dont' get to complain!" (yes, they laughed with me!). but it does kick them into gear about giving at least an idea.

If she truly has no preference, I'd find a photo or do a sketch and send it to her, saying "This is what I'm planning on doing. Let me know if you want anything changed."

Do not say, "Let me know if you like it." By phrasing it my way, a no-response means "yep, that's fine" so if there is a dispute over the design at the wedding, you can say "I ask you to let me know if you wanted anyting changed and I received no changes from you. Show me the email you sent me with your changes because I dont' have one in my file."

If you use the "let me know if you like it", then a no-response means the bride can say "Show me the email where I said I liked or ok'd this design!" and you don't have one.

Used this "trick" in the corporate world all the time! I always assumed "permission" to do something unless I heard otherwise from the boss and it made my job SO much smoother and easier! icon_rolleyes.gif

TucsonGina Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 13

I am working on one like that right now. Young couple from church who are having a "carnival" theme. She just told me she would like a topsy turvy and her colors are lemon yellow and hot pink! Well, the reveal is tomorrow -- yikes! icon_surprised.gif

VanillaCoke Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 13

I always find this difficult. What I do is come up with a few general ideas, sketch them out, then email them and say "this is what I have, which one do you like best?" and then they pick one, and I will say "great, let me know if you want anything changed." I think some brides just don't care, don't want to think about this detail, and it's probably nice for them to be able to trust you.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 13

I love doing that! I just get the colors and ask what shapes they like, their flowers, bridesmaid dresses, invitations, reception and table decorations and how "bold" or "subdued" on a scale of 1 to 10. Then I have at it, lol!

StacyN Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 13

I would definitely take Indydebi's advice! I would for sure want something in writing from her that she liked the design you chose. I think these brides that dont care are sometimes the worst brides! I dont do wedding cakes but as a wedding planner I once had a bride that told me to pick the centerpiece because she didnt care but, every centerpiece design I sent her she didnt like. So you could end up doing more work because she didnt want to do any footwork to find a design she liked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%