Cake Board Covering

Decorating By SammieB Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm by onebigdogmama

SammieB Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

Last night it was late and I could not decide what to cover my very large plywood board in. I had to get started carving my cake pretty soon, but didn't want foil or fondant s so I headed to Target to see what my last minute options were. I found some clear cellophane for wrapping paper and grabbed that. I put it over a regular wrapping paper (a bold lime green color), and so far it's working great! Cake doesn't stick to it at all, no moisture problems. Haas anyone else ever done something like that?

6 replies
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 7

No, but what a brilliant idea, will be trying this out myself. thumbs_up.gif

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 7

i did this same thing for a cake i made last weekend. i bought some craft paper from michaels and then wrapped it in cellophane, it was perfect!

i've seen somewhere on here something about wrapping cake boards in contact paper, i do have some but i havent tried it yet. for some reason i think it would make the color of the paper underneath look a little dull in color.

but the cellophane is perfect!!

KarenOR Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 7

The only caution about cellophane is to make sure it is food safe. I think I read somewhere that not all of them are and some could leach chemicals.

MissCuteCupcakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 7

yes michaels carry two types of cellophane, the regular one and the one thats food safe, which is usually used for wrapping baskets

CWR41 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

Contact Paper isn't foodsafe. Just make sure your cake is on its own cardboard cake circle so it doesn't have prolonged/direct contact with non-foodsafe coverings.

onebigdogmama Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 7

I've used the Wilton's gold and silver board wrap and have also used the press n'seal wrap over scrap book paper. It didn't have the "shine" but you could see the paper and that tied into the theme of my cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%