Using Glass Bowls To Bake

Baking By wwtoolong Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm by ajwonka

wwtoolong Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 7

I have a friend that wants a Barbie cake for her daughter...I have never baked in a glass bowl before so have some trepidations. Does anyone have any advice, I have seen several different opinions on time and temperature. I was going to use my Pampered Chef large batter bowl.

6 replies
itscake Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 7

HI wwtoolong: I have used glass bowls many times...I found for the Barbie body I needed to also an extra round pan too get the depth required for the skirt...of course this would depend on the size of your bowl...make sure that you grease and flour your pan...

Karadactyl Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 7

I actually just did this last night. I baked in a Pyrex bowl. I set my oven temperature for 25 degrees less than I normally would and very liberally greased and floured the bowl. It took well over an hour to bake but came out perfect! Good luck!

kimboann Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 7

I don't see why there would be a problem. Pyrex has been around for a long time and baking cakes comes out great. I also know Pampered Chef markets one of their bowls for use in the oven. Give it a test try if you have reservations. I know my family never complains when I have to "practice" on them.

SammieB Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7

I've baked in my plain ole Pyrex bowls plenty of times. I made sure it was cake gooped up pretty well, lowered the oven temp to 325, and checked for doneness every 6-7 minutes after it had been 45 min. Already. With a bowl it takes a bit longer to cook because of how deep it is, and to check it I used a thin wooden bamboo skewer. I usully end up with just over an hour baking time. Of course, every oven is different, but I've never had a bowl cake not turn out!

MissKendra Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 7

I have baked in my Pampered Chef big batter bowl and it worked perfectly! I agree with the PP about adding an additional round of cake at the bottom so you'll have the depth to make it look right.

Good luck and make sure to post pictures when you're done!!

ajwonka Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7

I was excited to see this post! I baked mine last week for over an hour & it still wasn't done in the middle! Do you think a heating core would've helped?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%