Help With Mmf Please!!!

Decorating By LiLChum Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 1:31am by sweetaudrey

LiLChum Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,
I am trying to make a MMF covered cake for my mother in laws birthday on the weekend but it is the first time working with MMF and I'm inexperienced with Fondant in general.
My problem is that my fondant is really greasy and is cracking/tearing when I try to roll it out. I wanted to make a bow out of it to put on top also, but it's just collapsing on itself.
I am so frustrated...I have spent so much money making the MMF and now I just don't know what to do...I'm running out of time too!

Please help, I'm at a loss!

11 replies
JenFailla Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,

Sorry you are having problems!! I only use MMF so I'll give you my experiences with it... if it seems to be cracking, it's too dry. Even though it feels greasy, don't add more confectioner's sugar to it yet. I take about a handful of the MMF and REALLY work it out, kneading it, softening it up. Then I cover it with plastic wrap and move on to the next handful. Repeat this until all is kneaded REALLY WELL. Then combine them all together... this usually helps with my cracking and tearing issues. Hope this works for you. MMF is great, once you get used to working with it icon_smile.gif By the way, which recipe do you use? I use Rhonda's here on CC and it hasn't failed me yet.

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 12

Try putting it in the microwave for just a few seconds. Then carefully knead it together (spots may be pretty hot). Making MMF reminds me of making bread. You kind of keep kneading it and adding ingredients until it feels right. If it's too wet, add a little more powdered sugar. Too dry? Add a little more shortening. Keep kneading and alternating those ingredients and it'll come together.

Fondant is too soft to make a bow and just have it sit up on its own. You'll need something to prop it up while it dries. You can add a little tylose powder or gumpaste to speed the drying process.

HTH

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 12

JenFailla,

Rhonda's Ultimate MMF is what I use, too. It's easy to work with and tastes great! Not too sweet at all.

LiLChum Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 12

Thankyou so much for the replies...

I used a simple recipe I found on youtube:
2lbs Powdered Sugar
1/2 C Shortening
3 Tbs Water and
16oz Marshmallows

You basically melt the marshmallows with the water in the microwave and then mix everything together using the dough hook in your mixer.

I have made two batches early in the week, and went to start working with them tonight, only to find that I seemed to be standing there working it, rolling it out, kneading it back together, adding a little corn starch, kneading it again...for ages! icon_cry.gif and to no avail.

Is there anything that you can think of to salvage what I have already done?

Thanks again.

letsgetcaking Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 12

That's basically the same as the recipe we used (ours just add some extracts and salt for flavoring).

I'm not sure why you were adding cornstarch. The only time I've ever used it was to keep the fondant from sticking to the counter when I rolled out a big piece, but I used just a TINY bit of cornstarch for that. I definitely would not be mixing it into your fondant to be reused.

How did you store your fondant. Did you coat it with shortening and wrap it in plastic wrap, then seal it in an air tight container? If not, it may have dried out. If you tried the tips above and are still having problems with it, you may need to make another batch. Definitely don't give up on MMF. You'll get the hang of it, and it works great when you do!

sweetaudrey Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 12

I like usinig MMF because regular fondant just tastes like rubbery/gluey sugar. It's a more difficult to work with but eventually you get the hang of it. I've never had it super greasy before so you may need to add more powdered sugar. Cornstarch should only be used to roll it out...you don't want that bitter taste in the actual fondant. If it's too hard I put in the microwave for just a few seconds at a time (literally seconds). Be verrry careful afterwards because it will have hot spots. But I think the key is just to keep kneading it because your body warmth will help it soften and "mend" together. Don't give up, just keep at it. If wont work out for you after all of this I would just start from scratch (I know...it's horrible!) but maybe you'll have better luck with that batch. HTH!

CupQuequito Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 12

I use a recipe that calls for:

4c marshmallows
2Tbs shortening
3Tbs water
1Tbs flavoring
8-9c powdered sugar

HTH

cheatize Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #9 of 12

Is it shredding?

If it is really greasy (like you can feel the grease on your hands when kneading it), flatten it into a disc and press paper towels against it to soak up some of the grease. Roll into a ball and repeat until you think it's better.

From there, if it's still too soft, knead in more powdered sugar until it's workable. If you add in too much and it's too dry, knead in a tiny bit of water at a time to bring it back to consistency.

ycknits Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 12:40am
post #10 of 12

I'm wondering about it "feeling really greasy." When I make MMF, I use Edna's (designmeacake.com) recipe, which calls for 1/2 cup of shortening, but the shortening is NOT added to the mix. Rather it is used to coat your dough hook, the mixing bowl, your kneading surface and your hands to keep everything from sticking. When making the recipe, I never use anywhere near 1/2 cup of shortening.

Did you mix the shortening right into the mixture when you made the MMF? That's the only reason I can think of that it would be greasy....?

LiLChum Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:04am
post #11 of 12

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

I did mix in all the shortening because that's what the lady on the video did...it just doesn't seem to be coming together nicely, when I roll it out it doesn't have a nice consistency at all, and yes my hands were incredibly greasy!

sweetaudrey Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 1:31am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLChum

Hi again, thanks for the replies.

I did mix in all the shortening because that's what the lady on the video did...it just doesn't seem to be coming together nicely, when I roll it out it doesn't have a nice consistency at all, and yes my hands were incredibly greasy!

I deffinitely think that was your problem. I'm never actually added the butter into the fondant before. I'm not sure why the lady did that...I've never heard of that before. But try it without the butter/shortening and I bet you will have much better results! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%