1St Time Carving- How/where To Start?

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 18 Apr 2011 , 3:15am by TonyaBakes

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:59am
post #1 of 6

I've never carved a cake before, only ever covered standard round and squares!
I need to do a tooth shaped cake. Its a 2D shape, not 3D.
It needs to serve 30-40 people, I don't know what shaped cakes (square or rectangle - I don't own rectangle pans).... and what size I need to do, so by the time I finish carving, it still caters for the right amount of people?
I'm thinking of printing the tooth out on paper in the right size and cutting it out, placing it onto the cake and cutting around this shape, would this be the easiest, most common way?
Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 7:09am
post #2 of 6

yeah u got it right just cut out a paper and put it on top of the cake! it will minimize ur mistakes.
i think its better to go with a rectangle shaped pan... if u dont have one u can always back 2 square cakes and join them together...
now for the quantity im afraid i never found a way to actually measure it.. u will have to bake more thank needed it better to give more than less cake. good luck on the order icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Toof

I've never carved a cake before, only ever covered standard round and squares!
I need to do a tooth shaped cake. Its a 2D shape, not 3D.
It needs to serve 30-40 people, I don't know what shaped cakes (square or rectangle - I don't own rectangle pans).... and what size I need to do, so by the time I finish carving, it still caters for the right amount of people?
I'm thinking of printing the tooth out on paper in the right size and cutting it out, placing it onto the cake and cutting around this shape, would this be the easiest, most common way?
Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Hi: I agree with Nusi - make a template - it does minimize mistakes. Also, I would stack 2 half sheets. You will have enough servings, even carved. A 9X13 gives you 15 servings, so doubled up = 30. And a 1/2 sheet is a bit bigger...you can look up the servings. I'm not sure on the exact amount off-hand.
I always carve frozen (or semi frozen) - depends on your freezer .It gives you a lot more control. And dont' use a really sharp knife - it is not necessary and dangerous (esp for me). My fave knife is actually a steak knife. I fill AFTER I carve so that I'm not cutting off my dam. I also put a piece of wax paper between the layers when I freeze, so it's easier to pull apart.Try to estimate how far you'll cut in so you don't have to mess with cutting the paper (if you know what I mean)? Good luck!

Sweet_Toof Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

Hi guys
Thanks heaps for your help. I need to bake it in a 12" SQUARE but I have made a template on computer, measured exactly to size and the shape of the tooth doesn't look too bad so I'm going to run with that

I will definitely partially freeze the cake and use a smaller knife so thanks for the tip there!!! Will let you know how I go.... in doing it in 2 days time. EEK.!

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

hi guys
this is the final cake
in the end, I used a 12" square cake pan and the tooth was probably wider than it should have looked, but I think the shape came out ok nevertheless.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2007580

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 18 Apr 2011 , 3:15am
post #6 of 6

It looks great. You really did a wonderful job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%