Need Advise, Sound Fishy Or Am I Just Paraniod?

Decorating By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 5:17am by myslady

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #1 of 5

thanks guys!

4 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:56am
post #2 of 5

I don't think you want to start a habit of 'helping' her. Politely tell her you do not have time to help her and do NOT lend her your tools. You may never get them back. If it were me I'd be busy for the rest of my lifeicon_smile.gif your little ones are a great excuse for why you're so busy and it's not even a lie. Wouldn't you rather spend your time with your children than making her cake? icon_smile.gif

As for the recipe just use the old, ' if I told you I'd have to kill you line' and suggest she check out websites like allrecipes.com
Good luck.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:57am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarandSpice3674

she has another friend who 'cakes' but i dont think she feels comfortable asking for help.

Too bad she feels comfortable asking you! LOL! I would just tell her that you already have a cake to do. And since you & your equipment will be tied up, you could tell her where to get the best deal on the equipment she will need. If she wants a recipe, give her one, just not yours. Unless she has ever made it before, she wouldn't know. Tell her it's Duncan Hines & not to give away your secret. icon_lol.gif Good luck!

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much for the advise, I do like her and want to help, but as u guys said, theres a limit and ill be busy with my own equipment and time. Think its a good idea if i send her to CC and send her a few links of 'how tos'? then she can ask me if she has any questions. thats how i learnt after all lol.
i just dont want it to end up like, 'oh i like that cake, ill just get my neighbor to come over and walk me through it, '
it would be nice to have a 'caking' buddy, but i dont want to do all the work, it takes so much practise and research to get things right, with out it i dont think any of us would have an appreciation for the art.
I did tell her, she needs 3-4 hours for baking/washing dishes,time to make filling, fill cakes, stack, crumb coat, cover and decorate/make decorations and her cake board, I think that was a bit of a wake up call lol. Thanks Guys! I love the support here, you guys rock!

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

Thats why there are supervisors, to partially show others or provide guidance without actually doing the work.

Give her a list of what she needs and let her go buy the materials. It's not your concern what her budget is, if she wants to make a cake as described, she needs to get all the required materials.

Show her what to do if you know how and let her do the work. If she wants a private session, she can pay for your time to teach her. I would also point her to the Wilton classes since she has shown continued interest.

As far as sharing recipes, thats up to you. You can tell her cake mix works just as fine as any other recipe or that you are still testing recipes and are not sure which ones she tasted, she still may ask for a recipe with this option. I have learned that people often ask for a recipe but don't bother using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%