Raspberry Cream Filling

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 10:10pm by holwhit

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:47am
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,

So I have an order for a red velvet cake with raspberry filling. I've never done it before but it sounds like it would taste great.

Problem is the person wants a creamy type filling as apose to a fresh fruit or jam type filling. She's worried some guests won't like the fruit and she wants something light in color and a creamier taste.

So I googled a bit and got this:

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 8 oz package cream cheese, SOFTENED
1 15 oz jar rasberry all fruit jam
1 8 oz tub Cool Whip
How to make it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whip cream cheese in mixer
Add all fruit and combine well
Whip in cool whip
Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.

It sounds good, and with it being cream cheese based should work well. Even if I used the recipe above I'd have to only use the jelly part of it and not the chunks of fruit as she doesn't want chunks in it.

Soooo I guess what I'm asking if there is any other recipe you think would be better? Should I just add a box of jello powder to my buttercream recipe? I love buttercream but I find it very sweet and sugary so I wanted something smoother and creamy for this filling. Or should I maybe mix some jam into my buttercream?

Please help... any suggestions as to if the recipe above would be good or a recipe of your own would be so much appreciated.

S.

7 replies
sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 8

no one in cake central land have any suggestions??? icon_sad.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 8

I prefer to use non perishable fillings. I make a traditional butter cream, 1 stick butter 2 lbs of powdered sugar and 1 10 oz jar of jam. Mix room temp butter and powdered sugar, heat jam and run through sieve to remove seeds if necessary. Add jam to buttercream. Add water or milk to adjust consistency. It's creamy and not so in your face fruity. It doesn't require refrigeration like cream cheese and cool whip. If you want cool whip type I'd use bettercream and jam.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 8

I was thinking why not use a stablized whipped cream and fold in some raspberry puree which is quite easy to make. It would need to be refrigerated though.

I did find these in the Recipes section. I'm sure you can sub raspberry for the ones that use strawberry.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16423/creamy-firm-strawberry-cream-cheese-filling-perfected#more-16423

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/14365/chambord-cream-cheese-raspberry-filling

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7480/light-raspberry-mouse

sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks so much! I'm off to check out those links!!!

Also I was reading some older posts about raspberry filling and someone menioned Merissa's raspberry filling but couldn't find it in the recipe section anyone heard of it?

S.

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 8

I've used the recipe you posted, and it is quite good. If you do end up using it make sure you get the seedless jam, its much better

sarascakecreations Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

holwhit.... you used the 1st recipe I posted? Was the cream cheese flavor too overpowering? Did you add any powdered sugar?

I'm thinking of making is this Saturday as a test... if I do will it hold in the fridge for 1 week?

S.

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

S,

I made the first recipe posted as a filling for cupcakes. I didn't find the cream cheese overpowering, but I did add a bit more jam to increase the berry flavour.

The filling worked well in the cupcakes and I kept the leftover filling in a bowl in the fridge for about a week but, I found it got a little "soupy." I'm not sure if it was because I adjusted the recipe or not.

I didn't add any powdered sugar.

Hth and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%