Cake Tasting Gone Wrong - Need Advice & To Vent!

Decorating By batterupcakery Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 12:27pm by cylstrial

batterupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
batterupcakery Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 18

Anyone ever dealt with someone like this?!!! I scheduled a cake tasting with a couple yesterday, they both brought along their mothers, which was fine. Well, immediately the groom's mother started critiquing the cakes. Saying things like, "This cake is so dry! No wonder wedding cakes get such a bad rap, they are so dry!" Then she starts in on the icing, "This icing is way too sweet. Anyone else think this icing is too sweet? I don't like it." When she wouldn't let up on the icing, the groomsman says, "Maybe she could make you some icing out of salt.".....I loved him! It didn't shut her up though, she had something to say about every flavor & texture. My cakes were fine, not dry at all & my icing was just right. I have never had one complaint. How would some of you handled that situation?

17 replies
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 18

I don't handle morons like that well. So honestly, I would have looked right at her and said "It's apparent that my cake isn't going to be something that will make you happy." Then I would have looked at the others and continued on with "Perhaps you should make other arrangements?" Just like that. And waited for momma to be duct taped or for them to all get up and leave. If it's like this at the tasting, it's gonna be hell the rest of the way. Buh bye!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

I don't handle morons like that well. So honestly, I would have looked right at her and said "It's apparent that my cake isn't going to be something that will make you happy." Then I would have looked at the others and continued on with "Perhaps you should make other arrangements?" Just like that. And waited for momma to be duct taped or for them to all get up and leave. If it's like this at the tasting, it's gonna be hell the rest of the way. Buh bye!

thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

batterupcakery Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 18

Jamie, I like the way you think!!........I told her that I have never had anyone complain. Looked at the bride, gave her my card then told her to call me with any questions & that I could do anything she would like. I am really thinking of turning it down all together. I feel like on delivery that woman will say something. I think she is one of those that will try to get it for free. She will cause this little baker to throw the deposit in her face & walk out with the wedding cake. Then say buh-bye!! lol! icon_biggrin.gif

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 18

I agree with Jamie-!

This is one cake that I would not do! I can only imagine how its going to be until the day of the wedding and even after with this woman. She will probably complain after the wedding and try to get money back or bad mouth you all over town!

I have dealt with many MOB's and MOG's like this (Im a wedding planner) and I can guarantee shes probably treating all the vendors this way! argggg

batterupcakery Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyN

I agree with Jamie-!

This is one cake that I would not do! I can only imagine how its going to be until the day of the wedding and even after with this woman. She will probably complain after the wedding and try to get money back or bad mouth you all over town!

I have dealt with many MOB's and MOG's like this (Im a wedding planner) and I can guarantee shes probably treating all the vendors this way! argggg

That is what I'm thinking. I have worked very hard to establish a good reputation & I could see her slandering my name all over town. Yeah, she's got to go!!!

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 18

Its not the bride's fault to have a bad mother in law poor thing might not find anyone to do her cake if you turn her down! I suggest talking to her alone or thru email and only getting HER opinion and final decisions on everything. She is the one getting married and if anyone talks bad about your product people more than likely know her and know she is that kind of person. I just think its not bride's fault and you could possibly work it out with her. icon_smile.gif Of course if it happen to me I would have probably cried for a week!!!! but this helps me prepare for when it happens.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 18

I find this situation appalling and I can never understand how someone could be so ridiculously rude or insulting to a complete stranger. It takes a special kind of person to be so miserable that they treat others horribly for no reason. What gets me is why someone would bring along such a person to the tasting, regardless of her relationship to the bride/groom. Obviously they know how she is, so I place blame on them as well for subjecting you to her low-class attitude!

I agree with Jamie. You don't need them and even if you charge them triple, it won't be worth the headache, stress and annoyance you'll obviously have every step of the way. People like that are constantly looking for ways to demean others so they feel better about themselves.

Ugh, my blood boils!

batterupcakery Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

Its not the bride's fault to have a bad mother in law poor thing might not find anyone to do her cake if you turn her down! I suggest talking to her alone or thru email and only getting HER opinion and final decisions on everything. She is the one getting married and if anyone talks bad about your product people more than likely know her and know she is that kind of person. I just think its not bride's fault and you could possibly work it out with her. icon_smile.gif Of course if it happen to me I would have probably cried for a week!!!! but this helps me prepare for when it happens.

I couldn't believe it. I came home just crushed & angry. I am not sure what to do at this point. I feel like either decision I make will be bad. You are right though, it's not the bride's fault. I really wanted to pat her on the back & tell her I would pray for her for having to deal with a MIL like that. I think I am going to talk to the wedding consultant & tell her that I will do the cake as long as I can avoid the MIL!!!

batterupcakery Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanhazcakes

I find this situation appalling and I can never understand how someone could be so ridiculously rude or insulting to a complete stranger. It takes a special kind of person to be so miserable that they treat others horribly for no reason. What gets me is why someone would bring along such a person to the tasting, regardless of her relationship to the bride/groom. Obviously they know how she is, so I place blame on them as well for subjecting you to her low-class attitude!

I agree with Jamie. You don't need them and even if you charge them triple, it won't be worth the headache, stress and annoyance you'll obviously have every step of the way. People like that are constantly looking for ways to demean others so they feel better about themselves.

Ugh, my blood boils!

thumbs_up.gif

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 18

If you do the cake I would tell the consultant that she has to be present when you deliver the cake that way she can handle the MIL if needed.

Do you know the wedding consultant? If I have someone in the wedding party that I think might act this way I warn my vendors before sending them over, especially if I wont be present.

I agree that it is not the brides fault but at the same time its not your fault her MIL is such a rude woman so you shouldn't have to deal with it.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 18

This poor bride is stuck with the MIL for the duration of her life (either the MIL's or the bride's icon_biggrin.gif )...that is the one for whom the pity should show...

Explain to the bride that you feel sorry for the situation that reared its ugly head, but you Choose not to have any dealings with the MIL...the person paying is the one with whom you are pleasing...all others are merely annoying mosquitoes, trying to get all the attention and forgetting it is the bride's day.

Apparently, the MIL does not bake...if so, she would be making the cake LOL.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

Its not the bride's fault to have a bad mother in law poor thing might not find anyone to do her cake if you turn her down!

It is the bride's responsibility for not bringing along someone they know will cause trouble. And it's not like the family doesn't know momma is going to be trouble. So it makes me wonder, they must not mind that she acts like that! Again I say, cut them all loose if they can't behave, or be prepared for even worse behavior.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:53am
post #14 of 18

A skunk cannot change his stripes. It is doubtful that a person that is hateful and makes mean comments is going to change their ways. Unfortunately for this bride, she HAS to deal with her. You, however do not. If I were you, I would not deal with them. There are too many people in the world that will treat you with respect, save your time and business for them.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #15 of 18

Certainly the bride & groom knew that this is how the MOG behaves and treats people. Either they just don't care or they did not have the backbone to tell her that she could not attend the tasting. Either way, it's not good for you. Can you imagine what will happen, inevitably, when MOG's impossible standards (for lack of a better description) are not met? If they cannot stand up to her now, they certainly will not when she thinks that they should receive a full refund for their cake. Do you really want to deal with that mess? IMHO, you should pass-up this one.

batterupcakery Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 10:21am
post #16 of 18

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am definitely passing on this one, especially since the wedding consultant called me yesterday to ask how much would I charge to make a styrofoam cake with just a small enough portion on the bottom for the bride/groom to feed to each other & that they were going to get a sheetcake to feed the guest. LMBO!.....I told her that it would not be much less than the price I gave them considering you are paying mostly for my decorating time & not really the cake itself. I then told her that I would have to pass on doing any of it..............These people are CRAZY & not worth the headache!!!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 12:08pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterupcakery

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am definitely passing on this one, especially since the wedding consultant called me yesterday to ask how much would I charge to make a styrofoam cake with just a small enough portion on the bottom for the bride/groom to feed to each other & that they were going to get a sheetcake to feed the guest. LMBO!.....I told her that it would not be much less than the price I gave them considering you are paying mostly for my decorating time & not really the cake itself. I then told her that I would have to pass on doing any of it..............These people are CRAZY & not worth the headache!!!

Evidently, MOG prefers Walmart cakes. icon_rolleyes.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 12:27pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterupcakery

Good call!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%