Clarifying Info For Gelatin Bows And Butterflies

Decorating By kdbohm Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm by cownsj

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 7

I have read through the entire 57 pages and had done so before it was that long too!

I have all the sheets and have used them, but not for a while. For those that have used the flavored gelatin, I haven't been able to find if you used the same amount of powder to water ratio or if it changes.

I may have overlooked it in the thread, but could someone please let me know that have used it. Also, am I correct in understanding that it is the sugar free jello that is being used?

Thank you so much!

6 replies
soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 7

kdbohm... You do not use jello! You have to use KNOX it is the unflavor gelatin. HTH Good luck thumbs_up.gif
CIAO

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 7

You can use some sugar free jello to add to the knox for color and taste.

kdbohm Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have used Knox gelatin and that's all I've used, but when reading through the entire thread on these, I know others have mentioned using sugar free jello.

I'm just wondering for those that have, are they adding it to the Knox or just plain jello. Also, what ratio are they using.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't tried sugar free jello, but maybe I'll experiment with it, just to see if it works. No better time to try then before you need it. With the Knox, I use 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons cold water to one packet of the geletin. Recently I tried doing a large bubble and while I still need to work on getting it just right, I did successfully make a princess carriage out of the large bubble using fondant accents on it for the decorations. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1977784

kdbohm Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 7

Well, I did try it with the sugar free jello. Came out the same, but I didn't get all of it dissolved. When it dried, I could see some crystals left. Good thing it was just a trial!

I couldn't find the sugar free jello in the colors I needed, so used the Knox instead. But for the sugar free jello, it is the larger box. This is following the instructions that came with my impression sheets. I believe it is 7 1/2 T to 3 T powder. The larger box is the 3 T.

With the Knox, I always seem to have little air bubbles in some, just tiny ones. Anything I could do different?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 7

kdbohm, thanks for trying it so quickly, and thanks for the update. The only thing I know to do to help cut down on the air bubbles is not to actually stir the mixture and use just a toothpick to push the geletin into the water. When I nuke my mixture, I swirl it in the cup rather than trying to mix it together. It doesn't elminate the bubbles, but it does seem to help. Sometimes too, it seems that the bubbles come to the surface when setting up the mixture, so when it's set I scrape off the top surface before nuking it. Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%