Crystal Colors - Which Are Your Favourite?

Decorating By pandakakes Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 1:27am by pandakakes

pandakakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm trying to buy a few crystal colors petal dusts online.. they're a little expensive. So I need to narrow down to about 4 colors.
Those of you out there that use crystal colors - which 4 or 5 are your most used/most got-to-have colors? It's a tough choice!! they have so many options!

7 replies
chrissypie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 8

Red Velvet is beautiful!

pandakakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 8

Do you think that the charcoal black would be able to make black fondant? I've made black fondant using the wilton gels before, but i'd rather be adding a powder. I had to add so much gel that the texture changed. It was still a dark grey until it sat overnight, and then was put on the cake, and then dried. Then it was pretty black. Not black black though.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 8

Oh I have a bunch of these!

Please keep in mind, they are not just dusts like petal dusts, but they can be used to color fondant, butter cream, royal icing and so on. So while they are a little pricey they are very versatile. I colored the yellow and the darker orange strips on this cake with the CC colors The light green fondant and the flower dusting were done with CC colors on this one.

I'd say if you were limiting yourself, go with at least one purple.

Here is an experiment that I did with the purple to see if there were the dreaded fading issues with it.

Beth is super friendly, so you can always email her and ask her what would be her go to top 4 or how ever many. icon_smile.gif

pandakakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

awesome! I'm really excited about getting them. I got a red velvet, majestic purple, golden corn, teal, and green. I wanted to cover all the primaries, but I wanted teal so bad! So no blue. I'll have to build my collection slowly...

TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

I've bought all of mine at the ICES Conventions. They do a special at the convention where if you buy so many you get one free. I want to say it is if you buy 12 get one free. I've done that about 3 or 4 times now. icon_wink.gif

sewsugarqueen Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

icon_biggrin.gif I was just going through my crystal colors to ship some to my daughter. ( However I really don't want to part with them) Top colors I use to add to frosting, cake/cookie dough and dust are
1) Poinsettia Red ( best red!!!)
2) Celia Blue-- a beautiful light blue
3) Sunburst ( yellow)
4) Lime ( green)
Red Velvet makes a perfect red velvet cake and carrot is a great orange.
I have used the charcoal but it takes a lot. You are better starting with a chocolate or dark color and then adding the black.
No bad taste, great colours that can be mixed ( I got a neon pink mixing some orange with the bright pink.
Best of all these are certified food colors...not just non-toxic but created for food. I won't use any other colours for dusting now. I have started buying those basic colours in large jars and new colours in small jars to try them out. Powdered colour can also be added to chocolate ( won't seize).

pandakakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

Thanks! I have a thing for yellow so when I saw the sunburst I wanted it, but when i saw it elsewhere, it said "sunburst orange" so I thought maybe it would be too orangy. Oh well it will have to go on my wishlist.
I've never even used petal dusts before, but I've heard good things about the crystal colors so I've been wanting to try them out. Luckily, my handy Canadian supplier has them all!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%