How To Give Fondant A Stone/gravel Texture.

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 1 Apr 2011 , 1:52pm by KJF1985

KJF1985 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm in the planning stages of my husbands birthday cake and am trying to figure out a simple way to give some fondant a stone or gravel texture. I know sometimes when painting a room people use balled up plastic bags for a faux finish. Could I do that and just go over it with a rolling pin?

Any other ideas?? Thanks!

8 replies
ajwonka Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 9

Not knowing exactly what you are making. . .

There's a stone impression mat you can buy. Or if you want more of a brick look, I've used a wooden skewer to make the lines. I'd take some spare fondant and try different things until you are satisfied! Hth!

KJF1985 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 9

I saw that but I really don't need anything symmetrical (if that makes sense). I mainly don't want smooth fondant, just something "rough".

TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 9

What about sponging on it with butter cream or royal icing?

dogwood Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 9

After you roll out your fondant take a clean piece of styrofoam (the hard kind the florists use to put silk flowers in) and break it into to get a rough edge and then press that rough edge into the fondant. This creates a rough gravely texture on your fondant. I learned this technique in a Nick Lodge class that I went to.

dogwood Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 9

After you roll out your fondant take a clean piece of styrofoam (the hard kind the florists use to put silk flowers in) and break it into to get a rough edge and then press that rough edge into the fondant. This creates a rough gravely texture on your fondant. I learned this technique in a Nick Lodge class that I went to.

KJF1985 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood

Oh this is an awesome idea!!! I had thought about buttercream too but the overall look wasn't really what I was going for. I will definitely try this though!! Thanks a ton!

ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #8 of 9

Good tip, Dogwood! I'll have to try that!

KJF1985 Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 9

This works really well...if you remember to do it BEFORE you put the fondant on the cake. Oops, my bad!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%