My First Wedding Cake Order!!

Decorating By AmyCozze Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 12:44am by jessyummycakes

AmyCozze Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I just started my business a few months ago, and I have my first wedding coming up in a little over a month. What do I do?????? I've already met with the couple, had the tasting, signed the contract etc. But now what? Do I contact the florist about decorating the cake table? Do I have to give the wait staff any instructions? Do I provide a cake stand - honestly, I know I should have talked to the client about this, but when I got married, all the reception halls we looked at provided them.... How long before the reception should I deliver the cake?? Any info or direction would be much appreciated! I acted pretty confident about the whole thing infront of the bride and groom, but really I'm totally freaking out.

5 replies
bakingkat Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 6

You are generally only responsible for delivering the cake, if they want the table to be all gussied up then they need to talk to whoever is decorating the reception area, I wouldn't say it's really your responsibility to worry about that. Also if the reception place has servers they likely know how to disassemble/cut cake but they may charge a cake cutting fee. You can offer to do it, also with a fee, or if they want to do it themselves, I would offer a cake cutting/disassemble guide. As far as a cake stand people normally have something in the contract about a deposit being held for cake stands. If they don't return the stand to you, you keep the money and buy a new stand. Since it wasn't discussed prior you could just put it on a cheap really thick cardboard or styrofoam board covered in colored foil/grease resistant paper. Or you could mention in a follow up email/chat that you forgot to mention the deposit on the the stand (if you were wanting to get/use stands) and did they want to go with the stand option or the flat base board option... Hope that helps! Good Luck!

cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 6

I do not provide a cake stand. If the bride has one she wants to use, then I have her drop it off to me about a week or so before the wedding. If she doesn't have a stand, then the cake drum is set directly on the cake table. I would call the bride and ask if she is planning on purchasing a cake stand. Some other bakers have stands that they offer to brides, either to rent or to use. If you do this, I would get an additional deposit in case it is not returned. When you talk to the bride, ask her if she is having the florist decorate the table or if the table will just have a tablecloth. I have had brides do both, but I would want to clarify with the bride so that she does not expect you to decorate the table. If she wants you to do it, discuss what she wants and amend your contract accordingly, including the cost of supplies for you to do it, as well as for you time.

I have written instructions that I deliver with my wedding cakes. Some venues don't need them, but I always have them on hand and provide them when I supply the bakery boxes for the top tier and a couple of boxes for leftover cake, just in case. It is important to communicate with the venue whether the top tier is to be saved or served, as many brides are now serving the top tier. I tell them and have this noted in my written instructions. I usually deliver the cake 1 1/2-2 hours before the reception. Just a couple more tips--make sure the cake table is sturdy. If it is not, find someone at the venue and have them replace the table. (I have had that happen..) Also, be sure to take a picture of the cake from all angles so that you have proof of the condition of the cake. Hope this helps! Good luck!

sistercarey Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 6

Congrat!!! on your 1st order. You should just deliver the cake, unless you told them you would do all of that for free or a charge. Who paying for the florist you or them? Deliver the cake at least 2 hrs. early.

AmyCozze Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for all your help, I was feeling like I would be responsible for more than I really am. I definitely should have asked this question before I met the bride, but I definitely know the proper protocol for the future. I'm felling much better now, thanks again!!!

jessyummycakes Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 6

Well done, I cant wait to take my first wedding cake order!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%