Painting With Food Coloring?

Decorating By TiffyB73 Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm by shelxland

TiffyB73 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 10

Can I dilute and paint with Wilton gel food coloring? If so, do I use water or something else?
I just want to add some dimension with a little color and I don't have an airbrush.

Thank you!

9 replies
pbhobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 10

I've never tried it with Wilton colors before but I would try a very small amount of vodka. I've painted many times with the Americolors gels just as it comes out of the bottle but never the wilton colors.

caymancake Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 10

I've done it with Wilton colours quite a few times. One of my Tampa bucs cakes, my teapot cake and one of my bridal shower cakes were all done with wilton gel colours mixed with vodka

pbhobby Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 10

TiffyB73, I would NOT add water. The paint will get runny and you'll end up with a gooey mess.

divinecc Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 10

I usually use it right out of the bottle, no vodka added (Wilton)

sully112099 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 10

I wouldn't know make my frosting homemade all the time. I also get the colors on my own using the Wilton Colors. I am currently making a Bridal Shower Cake for my step daughters Shower, but the dresser are Watermelon Color. So to get the Watermelon Color anyone have any idea. So I can make the Watermelon Roses, and trace the Umbrella on the cake in Watermelon Color as well.

Please and thank you.

simplysouthern Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 10

Wilton gels will be fine. To get the color your wanting try rolling a small piece of fondant out. Then try using the gels straight from through bottle and then try mixing some with small amounts of vodka. I use a medicine dropped to add vodka that way I literally get drops at a time until I have the color and consistency I need. Sometimes I like the pure look and strong boldness of using held straight but then somethings call to be toned down and have different textures so I mix. Play around some and soon you'll find exactly the right way for your cake icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 10

Maybe try a mixture of rose and red to get watermelon....

sully112099 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #9 of 10

did rose and red before was to bright that is why didn't know if a type of brown has to go in but what type to get the watermelon. got to keep the frosting hard to make the roses so can't add a lot of gel that is for sure. can do that to do the trim around the umbrella and the cake trim on top and bottom but not for the roses. got to figure out the colors to mix to make the color. So the frosting is still stiff enough to make the roses.

shelxland Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 10

As other have said, you can paint with the Wilton gels straight or mixed with a little vodka. If you just use the coloring with no vodka, go sparingly and build up. Let the layers dry. This takes time so be prepared. The alcohol in the vodka helps speed up the drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%