First Time With Rkt

Decorating By SammieB Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm by Marianna46

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:23am
post #1 of 6

Tonight I went ahead and sculpted my very first RKT accessory for a cake, and covered it in modeling chocolate. I have to say... WHAT A BLAST! Seriously, this is amazing. It's like edible art. Thanks so much to you guys and all your tips! I have learned so much from this page.

I do have one more question though. I made my modeling chocolate tonight, and I didn't let it sit overnight as some people suggested. Since what I sculpted is a guitar neck, I went ahead and covered the back of it while it was a little soft, just since there's some pretty tough curves in what I'm doing. I'm going to let it set overnight, then tomorrow evening I will flip it over and cover the fretboard as well. Since the chocolate will be hardened, do I need to cushion my fondant with anything? I've read it can go straight onto the chocolate, but I'm so used to placing it on cakes with buttercream and smoothing, I'm worried about what the surface will look like. My chocolate is pretty dern smooth, but just looking for some tips. Also, do I use anything to make the fondant adhere to the chocolate?

Thanks as always cake ladies!

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

If your chocolate is smooth, don't worry about putting anything else between it and the fondant. You could mist your base with a little water to make the fondant stick. Just a question, though? If you used modeling chocolate, why go through all the song and dance of covering it with fondant? Most people use modeling chocolate INSTEAD of fondant. I'm not suggesting you change course in midstream here, but maybe for your next cake you could cover your RKTs in ganache to smooth and then just use the modeling chocolate. The reason you let it "ripen" is so that it will have more or less the consistency of fondant. Hope your cake turns out great! Send us a pic!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the advice! I actually tried to post a response yesterday, but my dern computer crashed halfway through. We're back up and running now though!

The reason I used fondant on top of it was honestly because I only had gel food coloring, and didn't know how it would react with modeling chocolate after what some of the other people have posted on here. And I'm glad I did it, because I tried a few various things to color the modeling chocolate, and it was a sticky mess. I'm glad I was covering it up! I really just need to get some of the oil based food coloring too.

I also didn't want to use ganache on the neck because I didn't want it to be too sticky or squishy. After I coated the neck I let it get cool to where it was pretty much solid again. It really help support the neck.

Anyway, I have another one coming up in a couple weeks for my cousin that I will be using RKT and modeling chocolate for again. This time we'll be making dinosaurs. Fun! icon_smile.gif

I tried to attach a pic, but it wouldn't let me. i've seen quite a few people comment they've had that problem lately. Oh well. I'm adding it to my photos now!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 6

I just looked at your photo. Your cake came out really nice! That ought to give you enough inspiration to do some more of these! Great work, SammieB!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 6

I just looked at your photo. Your cake came out really nice! That ought to give you enough inspiration to do some more of these! Great work, SammieB!

Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%