Meringue Buttercream-Refrigeration

Baking By jdelectables Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 7:23pm by Kathydthompson

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:44am
post #1 of 5

I recently made Nick Malgieri's Perfect Meringue Buttercream and it is delish! Does this need to be refrigerated? It does have cooked egg whites, butter, sugar. Help!

4 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 5

anyone?

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #3 of 5

I have not made the recipe you mentioned, but I make SMBC often (the 1-2-3 SMBC recipe on youtube). I usually refrigerate an iced cake, I mostly do it because I want a nice solid surface when I put fondant on... and also because I usually do my cakes for family or friends from my home state 2 hours away. I had a melting disaster once when I had to transport my daughters bday cake and I rushed it and the heat was on in the car. So now I make sure my cakes are thoroughly chilled before traveling.

That being said, I have left unused SMBC or iced cupcakes out at room temp for a day or two with no problems. I've read a lot of conflicting info on whether this is safe or not. Some argue that the cooking process makes it safe, that the sugar acts as a preservative... I personally have know people who leave butter out at room temp all the time for their "table" butter....

I guess this isn't a definitive answer, so probably not much help- just wanted to let you know what I do since I saw you didn't get any other answers. Hope this helps at least a little!!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:30am
post #4 of 5

It doesn't need refridgerating.

When you refridgerate it, it becomes rock solid (think butter straight out of the fridge) and you can't use it until it is at room temp... you can't microwave it to speed up this process.

I've eaten IMBC at least 4 days after I made it without it being in the fridge and had no issues what so ever.

The only time to fridge meringue buttercreams is when it is on the cake, and only then so you get a firm icing.

Kathydthompson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathydthompson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 5

HELP PLEASE! Okay, I made some IMBC today. WOW! Love the taste. I have decorated for years using the American buttercream recipe, with powdered sugar, crisco...etc. However, I just don't care for how sweet the stuff is....this solves the issue! The only problem is...I have never used it on anything until now. I need some advice. My son's wedding is coming up and it WILL BE OUTSIDE. If I use IMBC and put the cakes in the refrigerator the night before, will it hold up. Transport time...approximately 1 hr. Also, since it is a soft icing, how to you cover it? I am putting gumpaste flowers on it, will that be a problem if I put the whole cake, completely decorated in the refrigerator? Any tips, suggestions or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%