Help With Timing And Delivering Cake

Decorating By lsmithctr Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 5:35am by lsmithctr

lsmithctr Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing my brother's wedding cake this weekend and I am struggling with traveling and timing. I am leaving on Thursday afternoon, the wedding is on Friday and the Reception is on Saturday evening. The wedding and reception are a 3 hour drive away. How do I do this so that I have a fresh tasting cake, yet not have to make a cake in an oven that I don't know. These are my thoughts. I freeze them. transport them frozen, let them thaw for all day Friday and decorate them on Saturday. Or, put the layers together, crumb coat and freeze, transport and let thaw. finish putting them together on Saturday. The porblem with that is that I am icing with chocolate ganache that is made with coconut milk and not sure how well it will crumb coat not to mention the cost involved! Ugh, does anyone have any advise??

3 replies
DeniseNH Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 4

Of course it depends on what you're filling the layers with but I baked my sons four tiered wedding cake in New Hampshire, froze it, wrapped it in saran then alum foil, placed it into a large computer box together with several large frozen ice packs. My icing was the Wilton buttercream type but I made up a large batch and packed it into large plastic containers. Have no idea how you can deal with ganache, good luck with that one.

Foxicakes Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #3 of 4

Have you done a trial run with the ganache? Personally, I would only stick to what I KNOW that I know--backwards and forwards. Only to the product that I know beyond a doubt how it acts in most situations, especially for a wedding cake.

lsmithctr Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:35am
post #4 of 4

Yes it is very stressful working with the ganache which I have limited experience with. I have been practicing with it but I don't really have a choice of what to work with since the Bride has some major food issues. I can do the cake part, but the frosting all has to match, so I am working with Ganache! It has been a major challenge for sure! I think I will have to freeze each of the cakes and take all the fillings and ganache and hope for the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%