Wedding Cake Sizes

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm by adventuregal

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 11

I was wondering how those who have done a three tier cake do it tier-wise for 120 people. What sizes look and work the best for you?
I know this is kind of an abstract question, but it will be the largest wedding cake I've done so I'm not sure how the sizes will look together. party.gif

10 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 11

I like 4" difference between tiers, so a 14x10 = 116 +6 (for 1st anniversary) = 128.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 11

Or a 3" difference in between tiers. A 13", 10", 7" will give around 124 servings.

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 11

You can do a 12', 8' and a 6.....but make each tier 3 layers of cake, you can cut the pieces smaller and it will feed your guest count. Plus when you make each tier 3 layers of cake each tier is nice and tall and better because you have more room for decorating.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 11

The trend now is modern with unconventional layers and getting away from your "traditional" wedding cake look of evenly stacked tiers - for example I'm real excited to do a cake that has a top tier of a double 6", a 2nd tier of 1/2 8", then a regular 10" for a bottom tier. This will give us about 74 servings, which is exactly what they need. Anyway, I drew it out, did the math and I'm pretty sure it will look awesome for this modern style wedding cake.

So I guess ask yourself what style cake you are making, if it's modern or more trendy feel free to play with your layer heights/sizes to come up with something cool and unique.

Jen

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

This will give us about 74 servings, which is exactly what they need.

They need 120 servings.

CWR41 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 11

If you're going with 6" tall tiers, they'll hang over dessert plates. It's best if you'd bake six 1" layers and put a cake board in between at 3"... easier to serve than 6" tall slices.

A 10x8 = 120 servings (6" tall, cut at 3" tall), + 6 = 144 (sliced however they'd like on 1st anniversary).

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

They need 120 servings.

I think what fromscratch is saying is that is what her couple needed...and just suggesting different tier heights to get what you need for your coupe. I think that is what she meant anyway....I could be completely off!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:35am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

They need 120 servings.

I think what fromscratch is saying is that is what her couple needed...and just suggesting different tier heights to get what you need for your coupe. I think that is what she meant anyway....I could be completely off!

Yes, "they" meant my clients, and the design was based around the untraditional tiers. I didn't work out the math on an untraditional cake for the OP's clients...

Jen

CWR41 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Yes, "they" meant my clients, and the design was based around the untraditional tiers. I didn't work out the math on an untraditional cake for the OP's clients...

Okay... thought it was a suggestion answering the OP's question.
(like your post in another thread... "Hardy Har Har"!) thumbs_up.gif

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for the replies every one-I think I'll go with three layered tiers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%