Firm Ganache Recipe, Anyone?

Baking By Lyoshka Updated 27 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm by Kiwi-whisk

Lyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyoshka Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a two-tier cake for a baby shower. The bottom layer is chocolate cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Buttercream fillings (different layers). I would like to cover the cake layers with a thin layer of melted chocolate (-so, a firm ganache, right? ) before filling... The purpose is to give it a little unexpected crunch, as well as complement the whipped chocolate ganache and buttercream.

I googled "firm ganache" and there doesn't seem to be any concrete information, other than 1 part chocolate, 1 part heavy cream. Does anyone have a specific recipe they could share? I would really appreciate it!

thanks!

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 6

Ganache won't give crunch, not even a very firm ganache - it's fudgey in texture.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 6

If you want the crunch you'd need to go with just melted chocolate, but that may not cut cleanly.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

yes, just plain old melted chocolate is what you want, and then you'll have to let it set up on each layer before filling to get the crunch

Lyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyoshka Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

so, just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in the double boiler and spoon it onto the cooled cake layer, freeze, then fill?

will it be messy when we cut it (meaning won't cut cleanly)? or, if i make it really thin, it will be ok?

Kiwi-whisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwi-whisk Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 6

I have a fool proof recipe and use it on all my cakes. This is perfect for filling. 1kg choc 800g cream, boil and pour over chocolate(dark) this recipe needs to be adjusted for milk or White choc. I use single cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%