Need Help! I Can Not Make Piped Leaves What So Ever -

Decorating By BlueBerryBaker Updated 26 Mar 2011 , 4:06pm by indydebi

BlueBerryBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBerryBaker Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 11

I've tried and tried and still am not getting the leaves to turn out? They all break off at the tips and look broken. What am I doing wrong? I've watched video's on Youtube and think "ah ha", then I try it and same thing. I took the Wilton's classes, and fail on the leaves.... Is it the frosting? bad tip? incorrect angle? Any suggestions, recipes, video tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Signed,

Very frustrated!!!!

10 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 11

What tip are you using now? I would suggest trying 352. You use it vertical and it has always produced nice leaves for me.

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 11

I absolutely agree with yums...tip 352 all the way!!

Staryberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staryberry Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 11

It could be that your tip is a little too thin (smooshed). Insert a small icing spatula into the tip and pry it open slightly. This will give you a thicker leaf. Also, my wilton teacher suggested that if the end of the leaf comes out ragged, just pinch the tip together with your fingers.

HTH!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 11

Don't feel bad. I have the exact same problem. I can't do buttercream leaves. I actually just gave up trying and do fondant roses and leaves. Between duff roses, ribbon roses and traditional I've just avoided the BC flowers and leaves problem all together. I hope to learn a trick or two from your post and give them another go!

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 11

I always use tip#352 too. The regular leaf tips don't usually work for me. The sides and middle don't seem to want to stick together so the ends come out all ragged looking. I'm interested in seeing advice from other posters too.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 11

I've never had any luck with the regular leaf tip, I think it's 67? I always use 352 and it works much better.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:34am
post #8 of 11

Be sure to make the icing "thinner" for the leaves...not the same thick consistency as roses!

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:59am
post #9 of 11

You can try adding a little piping gel or corn syrup to your buttercream or royal icing, it will give it more stretch. If the tip is smashed you may have to open it up. Wilton makes a special tool to fix tips that get smashed.

BlueBerryBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueBerryBaker Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 7:30am
post #10 of 11

Thank you everyone who offered such great advise! I'll try all your suggestions: widening tip, trying out another tip, switching to fondant leaves ( love that!) and I'll try adding corn syrup/piping gel.

I'm crossing my fingers and thanks again for all the help! I'll post my findings and let you know "what" did the trick. icon_surprised.gif)

Cheers!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 11

I also use 352 for the leave. I use the other one once in a while but dont' worry about the ends of leaves. One, no one will notice except another cake decorator. Two, even God doesn't make a perfect leaf every single time! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Here's one where I believe I didnt' use 352 (used the other one). The leaves aren't perfect, but I've not had anyone comment on non-perfect leaves .... just comments on how much they like the cake. thumbs_up.gif
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1496730

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%