Fresh Strawberries For Filling

Decorating By anxietyattack Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 2:20am by anxietyattack

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 4

How do I use fresh strawberries as a filling with out the juice leaking through the icing? I tried to do this and it looked like my cake was hemmoraging.

TIA

3 replies
AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 4

When I layer fresh strawberries in my cakes, I use strawberries that are firm and not too ripe (use the ripe ones for the actually filling or cake). Slice them up to about 1/4" thick (so they won't get soggy from the filling) and lay them on a single layer over a paper towel to absorb any juice. On the cake, spread a layer a frosting, top with the sliced strawberries then spread another layer of frosting over it. Have a really good dam too. HTH.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

I also dab them, post slicing, with paper towel to soak some juice up and sandwhich them between some frosting to avoid leaking into my cake (especially if it isn't chocolate). I could never properly spread icing over the berries without squishing them, though, so i pipe icing on top of the berries.

hth

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:20am
post #4 of 4

ahhhh, that makes sense. Before I had my dam but I was laying the strawberries straight onto the cake and I now know where I went wrong. AngelFood4, I love your blog. I've been following you for while. You're awesome. icon_smile.gif SugarDugar, thanks. I can't see being able to properly spread the icing with a knife so I'm glad you mentioned a piping bag. I'll most likely be doing that icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%