Wheat Free Chocolate Cake Recipe Suitable For Decorating

Baking By judywoody Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm by wheat-free

judywoody  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judywoody Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there,

I am looking for a wheat free chocolate cake recipe that's dense enough to be covered with royal icing. I have a few cake recipes but I haven't tried them yet. It's not for myself but for a friend's wedding and I don't want to try them all just to find out whether they are ok for decorating and then have to eat them myself icon_sad.gif Has anyone got an APPROVED recipe that I could use? So I don't have to take the risk? Most wheat free chocolate cake recipes are too moist to be used for a stacked wedding cake. Any idea? Already did a search but couldn't find anything (unless I did it wrong icon_smile.gif )

Thanks,

J

6 replies
 TX_girl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TX_girl Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 7

Does it have to be from scratch? In not, I've successfully used the Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix. I don't know if they make it in chocolate, but you could add bakers chocolate (or cocoa) to the yellow mix.

HTH

judywoody Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_girl

Does it have to be from scratch? In not, I've successfully used the Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix. I don't know if they make it in chocolate, but you could add bakers chocolate (or cocoa) to the yellow mix.

HTH

Oh I forgot to mention I am not in the USA - I am in Britain and most brands I can't get over here. Unless you know a good UK brand I will probably have to make it from scratch.

gbbaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 7

I have a recipe I use and could be PM it to you(I have had no problems stacking).

TX_girl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TX_girl Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by judywoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_girl

HTH

Oh I forgot to mention I am not in the USA - I am in Britain and most brands I can't get over here. Unless you know a good UK brand I will probably have to make it from scratch.

Well, I can't help then. Sorry. But I am hoping to experiment with GF scratch recipes soon, so let me know how yours turns out.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

judywoody Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

I have a recipe I use and could be PM it to you(I have had no problems stacking).

Oh yes please that would be great icon_smile.gif

wheat-free  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wheat-free Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 7

This recipe for chocolate truffle cake stacks well and takes a very heavy frosting easily http://www.wheat-free.org/wheat-gluten-free-chocolate-truffle-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%