Fondant Seams

Decorating By SammieB Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 10:24pm by SammieB

SammieB Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 6

How do you guys deal with putting fondant on a large cake? I'm doing a full scale guitar in a couple days and have already made all my fondant. I'm hoping I can cover it with one big piece and not worry about seams, but if I need to separate it into 2 pieces, how do you deal with the seam in the middle? I've heard rubbing it with shortening can help blend it in, but I don't know if that actually works, and I don't feel like testing on such a big cake. Thanks everyone!

5 replies
Cakeonista Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 6

In my experience it does not work to make a seamless even finish. I would try to roll out the fondant big enough to cover the largest part and start a new piece only where you can cover with something like the the sides or handle. I also need a lot of practice when it comes to rolling out big pieces but don't stress and Im sure you'll be fine. HTH.

srkmilklady Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

When I made my guitar, I covered the body with one piece of fondant and the neck with another piece. There will be a seam on the sides of the neck, but the top of the neck should be covered with the frets as they go past the point where the neck joins the body of the guitar which makes the join less noticible. I hope I explained that ok.

This is my guitar...
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1897311

Good luck with your cake... thumbs_up.gif

pounds6 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with them that the best thing to try and do is cover it in a way that the seam does not show, like covering the body with one piece and the neck with another. I havent ever tried a guitar so good luck and post a pic after your done but I can tell you this......from my experience when I have had a seam somewhere blending it with water has worked much better than with shortening and I've tried them both. I just put a small amount of water in a little cup and then just dab a finger or two in it and slowly rub at the seam until the fondant starts to meld together. When it dries there is no mark, when I tried it with shortening you could see the oil and it just didnt stay together well like when I did it with water. Good Luck !!

srkmilklady Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounds6

from my experience when I have had a seam somewhere blending it with water has worked much better than with shortening and I've tried them both. I just put a small amount of water in a little cup and then just dab a finger or two in it and slowly rub at the seam until the fondant starts to meld together. When it dries there is no mark, when I tried it with shortening you could see the oil and it just didnt stay together well like when I did it with water. Good Luck !!

Yes, totally agree!!!

SammieB Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I have one big piece for the body, and I am doing the neck in RKT and covering separately. I willi definitely post pictures when done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%