Icing Coloring... And Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By MrsAC Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm by Cakepro

MrsAC Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 2

I was making icing tonight and i wanted it to be crayola red..i used a whole bottle of the red food coloring (cheap lil liquid bottles) and it turned out a darker pink than anything..ive had issues with getting coloring correct before..is it the food coloring im using? im just starting out and attempting to teach myself cake decorating...

Also i tried a crusting buttercream and tried the paper towel technique but the paper towel left dot ridges (print on the towel)..but i couldnt find a plainer towel..any suggestions?

cant add a picture for some reason...i tried...

1 reply
Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 2

Rule number one: do not use liquid food coloring for coloring icing. Either throw it away or save it for coloring Easter eggs. For icing, use icing color. Specifically for red, I recommend Americolor Super Red. You'll use only a little and get a gorgeous deep red color. If you don't want to order Americolor online or have a local cake supply store that sells Americolors, you can buy Wilton icing colors just about everywhere (Wal-Mart, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc). You'll need to use quite a bit of the Wilton red icing color but you'll eventually get red.

For smoothing using the paper towel technique, you need to buy Viva paper towels. These are not embossed with any designs. Also, make sure you've allowed a sufficient amount of time for your icing to crust over before attempting to smooth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%