My Cake Split In Half, Can I Save It?

Decorating By jo37211 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm by sugardugar

jo37211 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:11am
post #1 of 7

I baked a 11x15 cake and it came out perfect, I thought. I cooled it for about 30 minutes in the pan and flipped it onto the cake rack. Then, after letting it cool another 30 minutes, I flipped it over and it split down the middle. It is now cooling, in halves, in the refrigerator.

Are we talking cake balls here or is there anyway I can tort and piece it together? It is the vanilla half of a chocolate/vanilla cake for a baby shower at work on Friday. I am going to alternate the layers and use chocolate filling between each layer. Should I just bake another one tomorrow night.

Thanks for your advice.

6 replies
Mfattore Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:22am
post #2 of 7

For a work shower I would torte and piece together with buttercream. It won't effect the appearance of the finished cake. However, I don't do paid orders so my family and friends would understand if some slices come out less than perfect. Or, if you have an order of cake pops coming up just save yourself the trouble and bake a new one.

sugardugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:40am
post #3 of 7

If you take a look at my pics, I did a hockey rink sheet cake, and I used a cake that had cracked. Not only did it crack but pieces fell around the crack... I "glued" the halves together with BC, took the pieces that fell off and glued them with BC as well. Crumb coated, fondant, smooth and fine. icon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #4 of 7

What I like to do when something like this happens is... Line the pan with saran wrap. Then I layer the cake back in the pan with cake and mousse, and stack all of the layers in the pan. I weight it down with a piece of tile, and refrigerate the cake overnight, or several hours. A cold cake is easier to unmold either by pulling the excess wrap sticking up to get the cake out of the pan, or flipping the cake out. Make sure you stack the cake like you normally would with the a good buttercream dam and the filling inside of that to contain the filling. When you unmold the cake, the sides of the cake are so straight, and the cake is pretty solid, I don't think you will be able to tell that it cracked, at least it worked when I did it.

jo37211 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:05am
post #5 of 7

Thank you all so much. I will try "gluing" it with buttercream. I have to bake the chocolate cake tonight and just didn't want to start over with this one. It is not a paid order. I don't do paid orders either. People at work ask me but I am such a newbie, I figure I don't need the stress. Also, when something like this happens, I don't know how to deal with it successfully. Thanks, again.

leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:57am
post #6 of 7

Good advice. And take that cake out of the refrigerator.

sugardugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 7

As a side note: I think I only have 1 in my gallery but I have done a fair amount of sheet cakes lately. to avoid cracking I take my cooling rack and put it on top of my cake and then flip the entire thing over together. This is to avoid it flopping and cracking mid-air. I do this with all cakes larger than 12" really.

Quote by @%username% on %date%