Reducing Cocoa In A Recipe?

Baking By Coral3 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 5:08am by FromScratchSF

Coral3 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #1 of 4

Quick (possibly daft icon_rolleyes.gif ) question: If you want to reduce the cocoa content in a chocolate cake (scratch) can you just reduce the amount of cocoa, or should the cocoa be replaced with plain flour so that the dry:wet ratio stays the same?

3 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

You'll want to substitute equal parts of flour, but you are also loosing some fat content by removing cocoa, so you may want to increase your butter or oil, depending on the type of cake you are making, so it won't become dry.

Good luck!

Coral3 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:50am
post #3 of 4

Thanks, will do! Actually I hadn't even thought of the fat content, cocoa powder would only have a very small amount of fat in it though wouldn't it?

FromScratchSF Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:08am
post #4 of 4

Depends on the cocoa you use, how much the recipe calls for and how much you are taking out. If you are only doing a tablespoon I'd not worry about it, but subtracting a 1/4 cup I'd probably add in a tsp more oil or a tbsp butter. don't know about Aussie ingredients though, maybe they are different from what I use in the US? I think cocoa is completely different country to country.

Quote by @%username% on %date%