Rental Space Store Front, What To Look For/ask?

Business By CiNoRi Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 12:50am by WykdGud

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking into moving into shop space for the first time.
I recently found a possible spot near by that is available for rent.

Can you give me any advice on things to look for in a space as well as questions to ask?

This particular place is just an empty space from what I can tell (only seen it from the outside windows). So I would prolly have to bring in equipment, furniture etc. (and actually if you have any input on that, Id love to hear it!)

Thanks!!

5 replies
MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 6

Most commercial spaces will charge a percent of your sales or a percent of sales over a certain amount. I'd get ALL the terms and conditions clear up front.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

And I learned my first thing! Thanks I had no idea

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #4 of 6

It's not been my experience that the building owner takes a percentage of sales. You rent a storefront and pay a set amount each month, just like renting an apartment. Utilities may be part of the rent or separate. The worst part for a business, is having to bring the store up to code and footing the bill. These expenses - plumbing, gas lines, floor, walls, etc., it's usually all your responsibility.

Think about all the equipment you'll need, measure the space, find the gas and water lines, draw a floor plan, and check with your licensing agency to see what is necessary. Good luck.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:34am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMia808

Most commercial spaces will charge a percent of your sales or a percent of sales over a certain amount. I'd get ALL the terms and conditions clear up front.

Yep I ran into this in my town. Bummer

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:50am
post #6 of 6

A percent of sales?!? I've never heard of that other than at the farmer's market I did one year. Are you kidding me?! That's crazy...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%