Need To Stop The Bulging!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 9:45pm by floursifter

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 9

I usually just avoid filling my cakes because I don't make a lot of big cakes. But when I do, I cannot seem to stop my cakes from bulging, esp when I use that Costco mousse (dreamwhip). It just spills over my dam. Maybe I am not letting them settle long enough? or maybe it's too much filling? I have to freeze them due to time, then take them out, leave them to defrost for 2-3 or so hours, then cover in fondant. Maybe I need to let them settle longer after defrosting? Suggestions?
TIA

8 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe try using less filling and don't put the filling so close to the edge. Also letting it settle a little longer may help. Try putting a little weight on top of the cake to help it along. I usually use a cake board with a plate on top or something like that.

If you want a failproof method...ice the cake in ganache. Or even just use around the seam to seal in the filling. Nothing escapes ganache. Not in my experience anyway.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 9

You're most likely using too much filling. Filling shouldn't really go more than halfway up your dam - and ensure your dam is made with a sturdy, stiff, crusting BC. Everything has to be defrosted well and allowing a night to settle at room temp will help.

Don't be afraid to fill - it adds a LOT to the taste of a cake!!!

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #4 of 9

I personally like to use the ganache but if I have a cake that isn't using ganache you could also try a cake damn. This is done by taking cake scraps and mixing it with the buttercream to pipe the damn. This is stronger and should help you keep your filling inside. Kinda like a cakeball texture. Hope this helps.

Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:39am
post #5 of 9

I personally like to use the ganache but if I have a cake that isn't using ganache you could also try a cake damn. This is done by taking cake scraps and mixing it with the buttercream to pipe the damn. This is stronger and should help you keep your filling inside. Kinda like a cakeball texture. Hope this helps.

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

Cakegirl313 - That is a brilliant idea. I never thought of making a dam out of cake scraps and frosting. I'm going to try that with my next cake.

Thanks for the tip!!

Cakegirl313 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 9

Glad I could help. Wish I could say that was all my idea but I heard it awhile back and it works like a charm. Good luck and happy caking!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 9

I've also found that when I double crumb coat my cakes they don't bulge as bad. I do a pretty thick crumb coat, let it crust....then do another one.... makes for a really smooth base for your fondant icon_wink.gif

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 9

On the web site for Satin Ice, Mercedes Starchwsky talks about using a straw and she seems to put it just where a bulge would be. She explains that the straw takes care of the bubbles. I am not really sure what she means and have never heard of using a straw. I am wondering if any of cake central friends would be able to clarify this. She speaks of using the straw almost at the very end of the Utube video.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%