Rant!

Decorating By ChilliPepper Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 11:29am by lollyponpon

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 9

Sorry all but I really need to get this off my extremely ample chest!!!!

In November last year I donated vouchers for 3 decorated cakes (8", 9" and 10") as prizes for a Children's Heart Unit Fund Raiser. I made it clear that the vouchers were valid from January to March, subject to availability.

I have a full time job and decorating cakes is something I do mainly for fun and to bring in a little extra. My diary gets full very quickly and indeed March is madness!

This morning one of the 'prize winners' contacted me demanding that I produce a cake by tomorrow, fully decorated. I explained that not only did I need more than a day's notice (I usually ask for minimum 2 weeks), my diary was unfortunately full for March and I would not be able to produce the cake. I pointed out the clauses clearly detailed on the vouchers and explained that since the prize was actually won in November it was not if she had left it to the last minute to claim the prize only to find that I am unable to do it.

Several texts later I am now supposedly unprofessional and she will not be contacting me again. Her parting shot was to hope I was pleased with myself for letting her and her son down but not to worry as he is now in remission.

I am refusing to let this person put me on a guilt trip and will not be contacting her.

Sorry for going on a bit but just had to get this off my chest!'''Thanks for listening.

CP xxx

8 replies
ChilliPepper Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 9

Whoops - this sentence should have read:

I pointed out the clauses clearly detailed on the vouchers and explained that since the prize was actually won in November it was not my fault if she had left it to the last minute to claim the prize only to find that I am unable to do it.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 9

Glad to hear you dodged her - she is clearly a PITA!

Anyone that throws their son's woes with cancer in someone's face is ridiculous.

Kudos to you for the donation!

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 9

I don't blame you for venting... people just don't get it. Don't let it bother you too much icon_smile.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 9

It was wonderful of you to donate a cake. Maybe I am mis-understanding, but why did you give a 4 month window to the winner? Did you still offer to do the cake for her during the remainder of the month of March? I understand you are busy, you did not say what the clauses said. Did it state you need a 2 week notice? If not, I feel you owe her a cake in March. BUT...not tomorrow. Don't let her guilt you for her procrastination. JMHO

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 9

Ok, well... first, she probably shouldn't have thrown in the guilt trip, but if it wasn't clearly outlined on the voucher that orders need to be placed 2 weeks in advance, how would someone know? I have donated certificates for breast cancer auctions and I make it VERY clear what someone is bidding on and what my policies are. Most people are used to store-front bakeries and aren't aware that more time is necessary for a home-based baker to accommodate any order.

You can't fault her, really... If I were you, I would try to accommodate her in some other way. Maybe you could make her some cupcakes instead of a fully decorated cake? Or allow her to use it some other time and appologize for any confusion.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

Maybe you could extend the time limit and allow her to reserve a cake for the future?

Definitely she had no right to try to bully you for a next-day cake.

I've had issues with donating gift certificates too...won't ever do it again.

ChilliPepper Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:40am
post #8 of 9

Hi

Vouchers stated clearly the dates the time limits on the vouchers. They also stated quite clearly that a minimum two week's notice was required and cakes would be produced 'subject to availability'. I attended the fund raiser and when prizes were drawn the 'compere' made it clear to all those who won cake vouchers that bookings needed to be made early as bookings had already been made for the three months the vouchers were valid for. Only one person contacted me prior to January and one contacted me during January to book a cake for March. My diary is full and I am unable to accommodate and I am not prepared to extend the deadline to September which is the first available time slot.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

CP xxx

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:29am
post #9 of 9

Wow!! I am really sorry to hear this happened to you!!
You sound llike you had covered all vases so try not to take it to heart.
I know it can be difficult to ignore swipes at your morality, but it honestly isn't worth distressing yourself as you have done nothing in the wrong, in an extremely selfless attempt to do everything right!!
best of luck, happy caking!!
remember: sugar and spice and all things nice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%