Mil Thinks Otherwise

Baking By diamondsmom Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm by cylstrial

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 39

Ok guys, Here's my delima. A few days ago i asked about discount pricing for some cupcakes and you guys helped me out big time. So after the customers agreed to the $3.00 per cupcake days ago, they called me back and said that the MIL says they are too pricey, mind you they already gave me $100 deposit. They said since she is the one paying for the cakes for their babyshower there's nothing they could do and want the deposit back or I should charge them $1.75 no more than $2.00 for the cuppies.

MIL said I am overpriced and she's sure she can find it cheaper somewhere..are U kidding me, we live in (NYC!) i'm sure these cupcakes would sell for $5.00 here. here's another link of what they want, oh and they wanted flowers untop with a sleeping baby in one of the flower ( that i didn't even charge them for i was going to do it free) Please let me know what you guys think i'm putting a link to the cakes they want.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/382189676_04f46a098d.jpg

38 replies
texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 39

Wow! Sometimes people really are crazy I think. Your pricing for the cupcakes sounds totally reasonable, if anything they're getting a GREAT deal for NYC! But aside from that, the point is they agreed to the price and gave you a deposit. Now, I'm not sure if they signed a contract or if your contract says anything about deposits being non-refundable. But in most cases, that's how it works and they should know that. Obviously if you did have a contract that states this, you will have a much easier job since you will just need to show them what they signed and tell them that you'd be happy to fill their order at the $3 price that they agreed to, but otherwise they will not get money back. Sorry you have to deal with the crazies today! Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Lisa-G Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa-G Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 39

PLEASE don't let them manipulate and push you into lowering the price that they already agreed on!!!! Those cupcakes will take a lot of work, and I'm not even sure you'd break even at $2.00 per cuppie. It seems that they are trying to strong-arm you into getting what they want - don't let them do it!!!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 39

stick to your price dont fold.
I live in hills of ohio and that what I would charge.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 39

OMG! Those cupcakes are beautiful and they will be a lot of work. $3.00 is cheap; especially in the NYC area. Don't budge!

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 39

Although you are perfectly justified in keeping the deposit (if it is in your contract), I would consider just giving her the money back to be rid of that lady! It could be problems later. Of course, if they come crying back because everyone else is so much more expensive, I would charge them $3.50 per cupcake! Tell them it was a limited time offer, and their time ran out...

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:44pm
post #7 of 39

Are you kidding me??? $3 per cup cake is already well below wholesale, and in NYC, it's unheard of. If your contract states the $100 is nonrefundable, keep the deposit for wasting your time. Otherwise, return the deposit and politely kick these scam artists to the curb.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 39

$3 or or $5 - they can take thier pick!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 39

I live in NYC, too, and your price is low for that quality of work. Plain iced cupcakes go for $3 -- with fondant decos and the display (really, you were going to do the baby in the flower for FREE?), much much more. Walk away.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 39

I think $3 per cupcake is a steal for all the details you are going to have to do. I agree with the other posters, if your policy says the deposit is non-refundable then keep it. They already agreed to the $3 price so there is no bargaining now. If you don't have anything in writing saying the deposit is non-refundable then give it back to them and let them try to find someone gullible enough to do those cupcakes for any less. I highly doubt they'll find anyone, especially in NYC.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 39

I know it's hard to lose a job. But remember, it's a BAD job you'll be losing...one where you won't make any money and the only word of mouth you'd get is that you're dirt cheap and give in to manipulative bargaining.

Sorry this happened. But I'd drop it like an apple with a spider on it.

Mb20fan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mb20fan Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 39

Depending on what your contract states, I'd only give a partial deposit refund and move on. icon_smile.gif

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 39

Refunding any deposit is silly. It isn't your fault she didn't check with the person financing the purchase first. Offer 100 cuppies (which = $100) or nothing.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 39

My deposits are non-refundable, but I will usually be nice and give them credit toward a future purchase if they cancel at least 2 weeks prior to the event. I would not let a customer dictate the price to me though... that's ridiculous.

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:48pm
post #15 of 39

Whatever you decide about a refund, I would say good riddance to a customer like that. You know you'll not please her! It's a lose/win situation here if you lower your price..........so please don't consider it.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 39

Definitely don't cave. If they only want to pay x amount then say for your budget you can get: x amount of cupcakes (which works out to $3). I would say if they made the deposit, its non-refundable (if its on your contract or if its been expressed to her in writing) but that you're willing to apply the deposit towards a future deposit. Otherwise - no deal!

Be firm in your pricing! I always have people who are used to grocery store prices but have been entralled by cake boss and ace of cakes say that my prices are too high, yet my regular clients who typically order from gourmet bakeries always end up "tipping" me way more than the price of the cake because they recognize the work that went into it. Don't back down.

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:25pm
post #17 of 39

thanks guys, i had a contract and it states it non-refundable. unfortunately i'm being called a thief by the MIL.. Her son and DIL are regular customers and they love my cakes so they keep on apologizing on her behalf. I don't deal with stress so i'm hoping I don't take this on and need a shrink after.

icon_sad.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 11:50pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsmom

thanks guys, i had a contract and it states it non-refundable. unfortunately i'm being called a thief by the MIL.. Her son and DIL are regular customers and they love my cakes so they keep on apologizing on her behalf. I don't deal with stress so i'm hoping I don't take this on and need a shrink after.

icon_sad.gif

Most MILs are never satisfied, somehow some of them think that they still live in 1980 where you can buy a 3 tier decorated cake with fondant, flowers, dragees for 10 bucks
I thank God everyday that my MIL spends WAY more than I do icon_biggrin.gif

Back to the subject although you already decided.. I will definitely go with not going lower.....geeez I hate when people are like that icon_mad.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #19 of 39

$5-$7 in NYC. Regular cupcakes with sprinkles at Magnolias are $3+

Give them their money back. You don't need a client like this. Get rid of her.

It is good to lose a bad client.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:28am
post #20 of 39

Since the son & DIL are regular customers, explain to them that you can not do the cupcakes for less than $3 and if the MIL is not willing to pay, then maybe it is best that you refund their deposit so the Momma Cheapo can find something less expensive.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #21 of 39

If MIL did decide to take you to court, she has no case because they signed the contract stating the deposit is non-refundable. When they signed the contract they also signed to agree your price.

If I didn't have anything invested in the order yet I would terminate the contract with them. You are already underselling yourself.

If you have already bought supplies eg stands, molds etc then reiterate that the contract has been signed and they can either go ahead with the order AT YOUR PRICE - definitely not the price they are dictating to you or lose the deposit.

In all honesty though, MIL sounds like a momzilla. Cut her loose!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:49am
post #22 of 39

Don't cave, when one baker gives in it hurts all of us, the word gets around that bakers will give in to get the business. Stand firm! anyway that price is steal!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 1:14am
post #23 of 39

I think since the kids are good customers of yours and the problem is MIL, maybe you can explain to them that the deposit is non-refundable per the contract, but that if they decided to go elsewhere (to avoid paying such a "high" price according to MIL) you would be willing to apply the $100 toward a future purchase?

They obviously like your cakes and obviously know MIL is being a crazy person. Maybe that's a way to keep them as good customers, but the MIL may proceed with wrecking the party with crappy cupcakes? Or, she'll call around for "better" prices and will have to come back to you with her tail between her legs?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:16am
post #24 of 39

this kind of happened to us once when we were selling a house. Young couple buyers makes an offer and puts up the earnest money. Dad does a drive by (doesn't go inside, just drives down the street) and decides that he doesn't like the house. he's giving them the down payment so they want to back out under the theory of "without a down payment, we can't get financing and if we can't get financing, then we cant' buy the house."

Our realtor was pushing for us to "just let them out of it", agreeing with their logic. Hubby tells realtor two things:

1) If they aren't "authorized" to make offers on a house without daddy ok'ing it, then they shouldn't be running around town, making offers on homes that result in the seller taking the house off of the market.

2) ANYONE can put down an offer, then use their down payment money to buy a new car, then claim "oh gosh, I no longer have a down payment!" and get out of any contract.

The final deicsion is yours based on the relationship with the couple, but I see two problems here. (1) They signed a contract and want out of it "just because". Sorry, this is a legal document and you agreed to it. (2) If they allow MIL to walk all over them over cupcakes, imagine what she is or will be like as a grandmother! I can just imagine this poor couple trying to raise their child THEIR way with a mother/MIL like this!

texanlostlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texanlostlover Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 2:41am
post #25 of 39

I agree with Jonahsmom...since they have been good customers, I would let them know that you'd love to fill the contract at the price it states, or they can apply the deposit toward a future order if the Momzilla absolutely won't let them keep this order. Either way, they are not getting the money back, but at least then the witch can't insist you are being a thief, since you are allowing them to use the money toward another order if they wish. So sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm glad to know that at least they are not all crazies...just the MIL.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:00am
post #26 of 39

Another suggestion is that you can ask them (the couple) to pay the difference...

dixiedarlin79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixiedarlin79 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:19am
post #27 of 39

You could offer to give them $100 worth of cupcakes @ the $3/cupcake price and MIL can get the rest somewhere else. That way momzilla can see the difference in her dime store cupcakes up next to your masterpieces and have to sit and listen to everyone rave about yours the whole time! That should put a twist in her knickers lol!

This way, though, your mom-to-be who you say is a good customer would have SOMETHING to be proud of at her shower and hopefully not be totally mortified by the el cheapo crazy lady. icon_biggrin.gif Just a thought! I would not do the baby thing for free though.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:14am
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

I live in NYC, too, and your price is low for that quality of work. Plain iced cupcakes go for $3 -- with fondant decos and the display (really, you were going to do the baby in the flower for FREE?), much much more. Walk away.

thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:31am
post #29 of 39

And here we have another case of - *it might be your bridal shower dearie by i am paying for the cake and i set the price"

OP you have set your price - so stick to it.
If she doesn't want to pay your price - then wave her gooodbye.
Don't fall into the trap of letting your customers set your prices - otherwise you will end working for peanuts.

Stand your ground - and be the business women you want to be. icon_smile.gif
She is a customer - not your finacial planner icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:49am
post #30 of 39

I think that there is potential here to lose your customers anyway, the younger ones may be so embaressed by the mil that they may not come back to you.
You do what you feel is right in your heart, if you havn't bought any supplies etc out of the deposit, it may just save you a lot of stress to give it back to them and wash your hands of it.
If the youngsters want your cake badly enough they will pay for it themselves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%