Buttercream Help! :) :)

Baking By gimmesugar Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm by Marianna46

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone ever try to fold fresh whipped cream into their buttercream frosting? How did it turn out? I'm thinking about trying this but am afraid I'll end up wasting a whole batch because the frosting won't be as sturdy. I love fresh whipped cream but also love buttercream, and want to combine the two. Also, do it hold color well? I'm thinking about using gel food coloring. Thanks!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 5

I've done it and it's to die for! I've also done it with chocolate buttercream and that was the best chocolate frosting I've ever had. It's less sturdy than buttercream, but it's sturdier than plain whipped cream, which I've also used to cover cakes. If you refrigerate it before you use it, it's pretty stiff, and works great to cover and pipe borders with. What I've never tried is making things like flowers with it - it might be too soft for that.

gimmesugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:05am
post #3 of 5

Oops, meant to say "does it hold color well", not "do it hold color well" haha. Thanks for the feedback about the buttercream!

gimmesugar Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 5

Do you know if there's a tutorial or instructions on how to do this? I've read a few things on the internet but it sounds like it's ended in a fiasco, with the buttercream eventually separating.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

I don't know about a tutorial, but the time I mixed the chocolate buttercream with whipped cream I used it for one cake that same day and put the leftovers in the fridge and used it on another cake three days later and I had no problem. But now that I think about it, I wasn't using pure whipped cream, but a local product on the order of Bettercreme (the one that comes in liquid form and that you whip up yourself). I'm sure this stuff has something in it to stabilize it (agar or gelatine or something like that) and that would keep it from separating. Of course there are stabilized whipped cream recipes that you make from regular whipped cream (I think there's one in the recipe section here). I think what I'd do is make the stabilized whipped cream and then mix it with the buttercream. I'm sorry if I led you astray with my original reply.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%