Beginner & Need Opinions & Help On Pricing!

Decorating By Sugar_Cakes Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm by leily

Sugar_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 3

Im beginning at this cake decorating....I made a Hello Kitty cake but dont know what to really charge...I dont want to over price since my skills arent that good but dont want to loose money either...can someone please help me out with this???? Image I have the pictures in my profile[/b]

2 replies
silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 3

What you charge per serving depends on where you are. Look at the websites of other bakers in your area to get a general idea of what you should be charging per serving. Don't charge drastically under what they are, because that will make it harder to raise your prices later. Also, if you are baking from home, you need to make sure you know the laws in your state/county/country regarding home baking, as they vary from place to place. In many states it is illegal to sell anything made in a home kitchen. Lots of people do it anyway, and what you decide on that is your choice, but you should at least be aware of the laws either way, so you know what risks you may or may not be taking.

HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 3

You don't have the picture posted in your profile so i can't see if you made a hello kitty, or if you just put a toy on top of a cake. If you put a toy on top of the cake then i suggest you read this topic on how to price a cake.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

If you made the hello kitty into the cake or sculpted it in anyway (from cake, fondant, gumpaste etc....) then it can't legally be sold because of copyrights. So i wouldn't charge anything for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%