Can You Add Real Chocolate To Fondant To Make Modelling Choc

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 1:44am by Marianna46

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 12

I am wondering if I can add liquid chocolate to ready made white fondant to get like a modelling chocolate? I have tons of white fondant and thought about buying a tub of modelling chocolate until I saw the price icon_eek.gif

I have to make a 3D Sock monkey cake and need to cover a RKT head in dark fondant/modelling chocolate but don't want the lumpy look underneath that RKT gives through fondant.

I heard of coating in RI first and I tried that but still lumpy...

any more ideas...or just cover the head in brown fondant...

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

11 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know about liquid chocolate.

I have seen some kind of tutorial in this blog about RKT and modelling chocolate.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/toy-story-cake-and-cupcakes.html

No lumps there as you can see. The owner of the blog is AngelFood4 here in CC.

I thought you can make your own modeling chocolate?

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 12

Yeah..You can ...with candy melts and a bit of corn syrup but I would need quite a bit and it is quite greasy at first...Thanks for the blog I'll take a look..I do appreciate it!!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 12

Maybe what I will do is run the Cereal through a food processor to fine grind it.Some have said that helps with the lumps.I also don't want the head to be too heavy as it needs to sit ontop of a body...Hmmmm

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 12

I think it does help with the lumps, but it would make it heavier, right?

Here's two more discussions:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=600889&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-675248-0-days0-orderasc-.html

I wonder where everyone is...lol...you should have more answers!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 12

I've mixed modeling chocolate with ready made MMF and had really good results with it in making decorations with or molding figures with. I haven't covered a cake or RKT directly with this mix though...at least not yet. It is stiffer than straight modeling choc and may not fill in the grooves in the RKT too well without showing through (unless you prep the surface with BC or melted choc first).

I don't know about adding melted chocolate directly with ready-made fondant, curious to see what others say. I think it'll be pretty sticky and messy to blend in at first and you may need to add in more PS. The easiest way might be to make some modeling chocolate first then blend it in with the fondant (you'll be mixing 2 things with the same consistency).

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 12

Two suggestions about the RKTs: 1) instead of icing the head with RI before putting on the fondant/modeling chocolate, ice it with ganache - it's easier to use and covers better; 2) don't grind up the cereal first or the treats you make with it will be too heavy for the head.

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:06am
post #8 of 12

Yes, just what marianna suggested with #2 - I just lightly crush about 1/2 of the cereal with your hands or in a baggie leaving some chunks in there: You don't want your sculpted piece to end up too compacted and heavy.

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Marianna46..Glad to know that..so make the RKT normal and not crushed.Will the ganache harden and not stay soft.I don't want slimy chocolate all over the head.I kinda want it to harden like chocolate coating on an ice cream cone.

Marianna46 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:40pm
post #10 of 12

To be perfectly honest, if you want your RKTs to be as light as possible, use the store-bought ones. They are even less compact than the ones you make. Ganache has the consistency of peanut butter once you've left it to set up for a few hours (you can use the fridge to hurry this along, but don't leave it in for too long or it will get too hard to spread and you'll have to soften it again). Once you cover the RKTs with ganache, you can set them in the fridge for a few minutes to firm them up even more before you cover them with fondant, if you want the coating really hard. If you still have bumps, it's not hard to put another coat of ganache over the first one, but I don't think you'll need to. You might need to mist your RKTs with a little water before you put the fondant on so the fondant will stick. Send us a pic, okay?

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks Marianna for your knowledge..I am still on the fence as to whether to do the whole body of the sock monkey or just a giant head..The Mom didn't care either way...The 3D cakes are quite new for me and a territory I find myself lost in....I have never been a artist/sculptor perse so I have a hard time with proportions etc...I need pictures/visuals to help me..I think that is why my 3D Shark came out so good cause I had a good pic to refer too and lots of looking it over...I'm also afraid the head will fall off if I make a whole 3D monkey cause she is travelling with it to the zoo.Last thing I need is it to lose it head or arm..HA!HA!

Any suggestions as to what else to add to the board..It is not a Monkey cake like you would think for a zoo party but a Sock Monkey...so adding a Banana may look silly...

Marianna46 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:44am
post #12 of 12

Kiddiekakes, I know something about RKTs because I've taken a couple of workshops where we've used them - I really need to catch up on my photos! - but you've always been one of my idols as far as cake decorating goes. I think anything you feel comfortable with would be super. If you want to make the whole sock monkey, you could make him lying down on the cake so that the body wouldn't have to support the head. I'm kind of at a loss as to know what else could go on the cake - I think the monkey would be enough, along with the message. I know what you mean about needing visuals for inspiration. I have a whole notebook full of stuff that I've printed out from the internet to help me in making my cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%