Assembly On This Cake????

Decorating By neelleyann Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm by JuliSchulze

neelleyann Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bride that is wanting this cake.
It's a 4 tier cake, and I just figured on getting "dummy" cake tiers to go in between the real cake tiers.
But how would I assemble this cake?

I'm afraid that if I use the SPS, since the dummy tiers are smaller than the one above it, there would be no way to hide the columns.

I thought about using thin MDF board with a circle cut in the middle to support the cake layers with hidden columns supporting them underneath, then running a huge dowel all the way through the cake to support.....

I NEED HELP!!!!

9 replies
Mfattore Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 10

I am confused by your question, can you elaborate on the sizes of the tiers and thier heights?

sebrina Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 10

Can you post a link to a picture of the cake?

kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

Far more info is really needed to help you. Pix speak volumns - and this is a time where pix would be the greatest of help.

all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 10

If you used sps under the styro 'tiers' and placed the tier above the styro 'tiers' on cake circles on mdf or foamcore board and decorated it altogether so the boards aren't visible, they could rest directly on top of the styro 'tiers' without additional support. You may run the risk of having styro in the lower tiers if you run a center dowel through it...reckon?

all4cake Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 10

If you used sps under the styro 'tiers' and placed the tier above the styro 'tiers' on cake circles on mdf or foamcore board and decorated it altogether so the boards aren't visible, they could rest directly on top of the styro 'tiers' without additional support. You may run the risk of having styro in the lower tiers if you run a center dowel through it...reckon?

neelleyann Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 10

Posted a picture in my pictures- It's the first time I've tried posting pictures, so I hope it uploaded ok.

Imagine the cake like this:
6" square cake
4" square fondant covered styrofoam
8" square cake
6" square fondant covered styrofoam
10" square cake
8" square fondant covered styrofoam
12" square cake

Just trying to figure out how to do supports? I've done the wooden dowels & had a bad experience with them, so I always use the plastic hidden columns with SPS system with my stacked cakes.
But since these tiers directly below the actual cake tiers are smaller, I'm afraid you will see the columns. Trying to figure out how to assemble!

CWR41 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelleyann

I'm afraid that if I use the SPS, since the dummy tiers are smaller than the one above it, there would be no way to hide the columns.

I thought about using thin MDF board with a circle cut in the middle to support the cake layers with hidden columns supporting them underneath, then running a huge dowel all the way through the cake to support.....

I NEED HELP!!!!

If I understand correctly (and without seeing a photo), you have the right idea... using hidden pillars. You are correct, using SPS with columns above the dummy would leave the columns exposed around the dummy, but the Single Plate Separators aren't necessary at that position because the dummy IS the support system instead. (make sure to place each dummy on its own board to prevent dowels from piercing through them.)

One long center dowel through the entire cake won't support anything... it's used to prevent the tiers from sliding apart during transport.

conchita Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelleyann

Posted a picture in my pictures- It's the first time I've tried posting pictures, so I hope it uploaded ok.

Imagine the cake like this:
6" square cake
4" square fondant covered styrofoam
8" square cake
6" square fondant covered styrofoam
10" square cake
8" square fondant covered styrofoam
12" square cake

Just trying to figure out how to do supports? I've done the wooden dowels & had a bad experience with them, so I always use the plastic hidden columns with SPS system with my stacked cakes.
But since these tiers directly below the actual cake tiers are smaller, I'm afraid you will see the columns. Trying to figure out how to assemble!

you know what you can do? since I already saw the cake why dont you send an e-mail to Anne Heap from pink cake box you be suprise some of the professional cake decorators will help you. I know that Rebecca Sutterby, Marina Souza, Jennifer Dontz to name a few are willing to help send them an e-mail.
good luck

JuliSchulze Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 10

Just recently completed a cake like this. Had a 3/4 " cake board (had it cut out of plastic that is used for cutting boards). My husband drilled the center and inserted a piece of all thread (very long piece of metal that is threaded like a screw and cut to the height that I needed). Covered the all-thread in clear packing tape and then placed the large white plastic dowel rods over it to cover so that it wouldn't touch the cake. I used 3/4" cardboard separators under each cake. With this thickness you don't have to worry about it sagging. Both the styrofoam dummies and the cardboard separators were pre-drilled (again by dh). Cake layers were doweled. I used another piece of the white plastic dowel rod to "drill" the cake once it was covered in fondant, making sure that everything lined up. Everything centered and stacked up like a charm. I was able to even transport with it stacked except for the top tier (cake too tall to fit in my car) and it transported with no problems. I hope I explained this in a way that can be understood. Let me know if you need a better explanation. I can't remember if this cake is in my pictures or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%