What Do You Use To Cut Plastic Dowels?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm by conchita

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 8

What do you use to cut the Wilton plastic dowels to get a nice even edge without having to saw away at them? Regular scissors aren't strong enough...
TIA!

7 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

I use these - the Lollipop Candy Sticks.
http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p740/lollipop-candy-sticks-11cm

So very easy to cut with kitchen scissors and best thing - they work a treat as far as support goes.
I kicked the wooden and plastic dowells to the curb since using these easy cutting white babies icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

But before i started using the Lollipop Candy Sticks - i went to the hardware store and bought a pair of garden snips - and kept them just for using on wooden and plastic dowells.
Now those snips sit next to the other pair - in the shed icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah I use the garden sheers too. But lately I have been using plastic drinking straws for smaller cakes. Now I'm gonna try the candy sticks that Bluehue suggested. icon_lol.gif Man I love the forums!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

to cut my plastic dowels I use a tube/pipe cutter I purchased from Lowes. works great

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 8

a HACKSAW !

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

I use these - the Lollipop Candy Sticks.
http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p740/lollipop-candy-sticks-11cm

So very easy to cut with kitchen scissors and best thing - they work a treat as far as support goes.
I kicked the wooden and plastic dowells to the curb since using these easy cutting white babies icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

But before i started using the Lollipop Candy Sticks - i went to the hardware store and bought a pair of garden snips - and kept them just for using on wooden and plastic dowells.
Now those snips sit next to the other pair - in the shed icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

Thanks, guys! Ahhh... garden sheers- makes perfect sense! I invested in some CAKEJACKS and they are the BEST! Would never use dowels again if I didnt' have to, but I only have 3" and 4" cakejacks and this is a 2 " cake - they are too big.

Bluehue, I always have lollipop sticks, but never would have imagined they would be strong enough. How many would you use on a 10" to hold up a barbie doll cake?? icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 8

Spaced evenly about 6-8 in a circle then 2 in the middle.
I like them as they don't leave great gaping holes in the cake like some large fat dowells do.
Many use the Bubble Straws - i see rave reviews about hem on here - but again the Lollipop Candy Sticks are thinner.

For other cakes....
Good thing about them, is you can get them in different heights - so if you can get the 8 inch ones - cut them in half for a 4inch high cake - then you get 2 for the price of 1 thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

Bluehue

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 8

I also use a tube-pipe cutter from Home Depot when I use regular wooden dowels and they work great, but most of the time I use scissors because I use them to cut my straws for cake support.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%