Levelling Cakes - Arrrggghhh!

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm by JulieMN

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 15

After today that is it! I seriously have had it with trying to level 14" and above cakes with a huge knife and flip them for filling cos I can't tort more than one layer at this rate! Sooo after listening to all you ladies on the Agbay I'm going to order I don't care on cost surely the cost will be worth the lowering of my blood pressure!!! ????

Which one to go for please? They offer 2 what is the difference do you find?

Thanks for any advice on the one to go for icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 15

One is an upgradeable single blade design and the second one is the deluxe double blade design.

HTH

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 15

Love my Agbay. Congrats on deciding to take the plunge! As for the two types, the first has one blade, which means you'll have to set the blade each time you level or torte. It's cheaper. The second has two blades, so you only have to set the tool once and you level and torte at the same time. If I recall correctly, it's about $100.00 (US) more than the first. However, you can purchase the single-blade model first and then buy the second blade later and they will go right together.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieD-oh

Love my Agbay. Congrats on deciding to take the plunge! As for the two types, the first has one blade, which means you'll have to set the blade each time you level or torte. It's cheaper. The second has two blades, so you only have to set the tool once and you level and torte at the same time. If I recall correctly, it's about $100.00 (US) more than the first. However, you can purchase the single-blade model first and then buy the second blade later and they will go right together.

I seriously cannot take any more of this wire leveller its making me cry literally!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the 2. I'll check it out and see how much it would be to upgrade with another blade at a later date too. thank you thumbs_up.gif

GamerGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GamerGirl Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 15

I have the double blade and I really don't know what I ever did before I got this. Best tool I have, everyone always raves at how perfect the layers are inside! I figured that I should buy the double blade right off the bat and save on shipping to order the upgrade. It will lower you blood pressure! icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 15

I can't second this enough. Single most wonderful cake purchase ever! I'm just a hobbyist, but I still think it is entirely worth the price (and I have the double blade). I crank out a four-tier cake, levelled AND torted PERFECTLY, in under ten minutes. No flipping, no crumbling, no sticking, no "not reaching". Perfect every time.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 15

I have one, my boyfriend bought it for me. I have the single blade. I couldn't justify the extra $100 when all it takes is 30 seconds to adjust the blade height.

You can also do topsy turvys with it by adjusting the height of one side of the blade, hopefully I'll get to try it out soon. I don't know if you'd still be able to do that with a double blade?

You will not regret it, I don't know what I'd do without mine now.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:39pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

I have one, my boyfriend bought it for me. I have the single blade. I couldn't justify the extra $100 when all it takes is 30 seconds to adjust the blade height.

You can also do topsy turvys with it by adjusting the height of one side of the blade, hopefully I'll get to try it out soon. I don't know if you'd still be able to do that with a double blade?

You will not regret it, I don't know what I'd do without mine now.

Ooo I'm excited now make topsy turvy so easy!! Thanks everyone gonna order up woo hoo icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:25am
post #9 of 15

Agbay - you will love, love, love it and never ever be sorry you bought it. I am a hobby baker and do not do very many cakes but this is absolutely the best cake toy I have ever purchased! Smile, you cake leveling will now become a non event!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:45am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaPeps

You can take off the second blade...they thought of everything! thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:24am
post #11 of 15

hurrah for agbay. I'm going over to visit your fab country next month so going to order it and get delivered to my friends house. I'm not sure I can wait lol!!! icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:09am
post #12 of 15

Best cake tool ever invented.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:27pm
post #13 of 15

I have the double bladed one. I love not having to ever adjust the blades.

sully112099 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully112099 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 15

I use my bread knife, to flatten the cake. 10 Mins after it cools down. I cut the top off, flip it out of the pan and then let it cool. like I was taught in class. But I use my bread knife for I don't have the cake wire that the class teacher has. and the bread knife works awesome.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #15 of 15

The Agbay is at the top of my cake toy wish list!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%